• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

MUSCLE CARS: The Beauty of Classics & Moderns Super-Cars

It was a Corvette slayer. I sent many of Corvette owner home with their head hung low, real low!
I understand. I set out to have a car that would at least compete on paper against these new top tier mussel cars on a budget. I wanted a big block to start with. I found an 84 Monte Carlo SS with a 383 showing numbers I was looking for, @475hp. I bought the car for about half of what it would've cost me to build. One thing led to another and I wound up putting a 434 700hp in it. I built the engine so I could just bolt on NOS and or a supercharger if I wanted/needed too. Took it to the track hoping to get 100mph in the 1/8th out of it, the 383 was running @80 some mph. A guy in a new or newer Corvette wanted to go down the track with me. I just wanted to see what my car would do. Well I did 135mph in @6sec. if I remember correctly. The corvette might as well put it in reverse and floored it, I really felt bad for him. When I bought the car with the 383 it took me about a half day to learn how to drive it. When I put the 434 in it, it took me 1500mi. During that time I was on the interstate driving @90mph I think it was. I floored it and it literally felt like all 4 wheels left the ground at the same time.....Liked to have scared me to death.... Needless to say I decided I didn't need any more power....

I actually tore my intake off today to drill and tap for some hidden hard lines to each cylinder. Planning on tucking the solenoids inside of the air cleaner and I'll run all hoses and wiring though the factory harness (plenty of room after deleting all the emissions systems) real grudge race type setup. On a side note the gasket was a little small for the ports on these dart heads..
20211217_155354_HDR.jpg
20211217_161241_HDR.jpg

I agree 100%. That's a beautiful car. Just look at the size of that wheel and tire combo. Outstanding! It's about time somebody walked the razors edge and came up with a winner. I would pull that in a garage and put a nice camshaft and Borla exhaust. With the right cam they can sound like and exotic. Not that it doesn't look like one.
Yes they look great.
The only downside to new corvettes is they all seem to end up in front of me driving on 19 N in the mountains where I live being driven by a 90 y/o man that refuses to go over 25 MPH and brakes gojng up hill in random spots as if a deer might jump out in front of them at any given moment.

I would just cruise I285 and I75 and hunt. When you spend that much you want to test it out. My car's headers were Kooks stainless steel. 1000 bucks for just the headers. Another 1000 for the high flow cat Y-Pipe. The Trans Am to keep it low and just for the lack of room ran the two pipes off the headers to two cats and then into a single sewer pipe all the way back to the Muffler. The Heads were 1000. The nitrous system 1000. HP Tuners suite and Diagnostic program. That was a 1000. It seemed like everything I put on that car was a thousand bucks I think the subframe connectors were about the cheapest thing I put on there and they were four and some change I got them from SLP the real good ones. Then the camshaft, chromoly pushrods, Chrome silicone double valve springs, Yella Terra roller rockers, titanium valve spring caps and retainers. Easily another grand and then some. Of course the BMR suspension and Bilstein shocks that was a few thousand. It's amazing how quick things add up when you've got money in your building a car like that. The one thing I did is all those engine parts under there were aluminum pretty much so everything that could be taken off and polished I ground and sanded down and polished to a mirror like shine. I took second place in the highly modified division at the F-body convention that they have every year in Atlanta back then I don't know if they're still doing it or not. I replaced a lot of the caps with polished stainless steel caps or polished aluminum so when you opened it up it was just all Sheen. A lot of work went into polishing. I even took off the valve covers and polished those. That was an extremely difficult task because they just they were a rough cast and they didn't do any kind of machining on them so I had to sand them down from a rough cast to a smooth surface and then start the polishing process. I think it took me about a week per valve cover. I had hundreds and hundreds of hours in polishing those items. I wish I wouldn't have sold it and I didn't need to at the time it just sent in the garage under a cover most of the time and I took it out when it was nice enough to run around with the windows down and the t-tops out. I did every bit of the work on that car wiring everything all the way from installing the exhaust to installing the camshaft and everything else everything. The one thing I didn't do is weld in the electric cutout because I didn't have a good enough welder well I didn't have any argon in for my welder for one thing and you had to get it up in the air real hot to get to it so I took it to Acworth muffler and he we clocked it in the right position and he welded it for me but I wired that up. She had 6,500 mi on it when I bought it and I pulled it in the garage and started tearing the motor apart. My dad started pulling his hair out.LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_143145735.jpg
    IMG_20211218_143145735.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 6
A buddy that I used to teach how to do performance mods and he bought a SLP SS Camaro which was a rare car. He wrecked that and I told him not to be smart with it but he didn't listen and he stomped it and it went sideways and got traction and smacked dead on into a telephone pole. It was one of those I told you so moments for me. So we drove up to Pennsylvania and pulled back a roller SS Camaro and it had no interior no dash nothing it had wheels and no motor just a rear axle and front wheels that was it. We had to take everything off that car and swap on to the new roller engine transmission new rear end everything you name it interior every stitch and every nut and bolt on that wrecked car and had to be swapped over to the new one. So we got that done. 6 months later a lady pulls out in front of him and he smacks her in the rear end and tears the front end off that car. Then we drove up here to Virginia and bought another car that had relatively low miles on it but it wasn't modified and it was a nice clean car beautiful SS Camaro same color pewter all of them were the same color he got. So in one year I had to build and tune three Camaros for that guy. And I did all that for him for free. That would have cost 75,000 to get all that work done.

Back
Top Bottom