• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My 11/3 and 11/4 hunts were the best I've ever had!

That’s awesome bud I’m happy for you. I wish I had the opportunity at something that nice where I hunt!
thank you sir! We put a lot of money and time into food year round to try to grow big bucks. Between that and the neighboring properties being farms.

I've hunted off and on for 10 years. Mostly more active over the last 3. Well this weekend's hunt started out in a tall pine clearing with short pines on either side and a creek straight across from where I was, I got settled in about an hour before day break and heard grunting off to my right within 30 minutes and had a doe cross towards it shortly there after. About 2 hours later I saw what I believe to be the same doe come running back with a big buck on her tail. I watched as they ran right in front of me and I never could get a shot. About an hour later here they come back and again never presented a shot I was comfortable taking. Finally after thinking my first and second opportunity were all I was gonna have, I prayed that he would come back and could get a clean, ethical, and swift short. He came back but was in a sweetgum thicket while the doe was in the clearing. I grunted as a last ditch effort to get him to come out and it worked. I reckon he thought another buck was gonna steal his girl. He stepped out and made a couple steps and I busted him. He ran less than 50 yards and crashed and died within 20 seconds. He was my first kill of the year only my third buck. Good sized 7 pointer, I know many have killed bigger but for me this guy is a trophy. I sure am proud of it. View attachment 1854097

Fast forward to Saturday evening I decided I would take my guide gun, which I haven't scoped, yet, and was sitting in the stand watching over a food plot. As the evening went on I saw a doe meander around just outside of my comfortable range for irons on that particular rifle. As the sun set and light was fading I watched my dream deer, wide rack, tall tines, and long brow tines, walk up parallel with the food plot, never presenting a shot while he was in range and still had decent light. 20 minutes later he stepped out and gave me a perfectly broadside shot but I wasn't completely confident in shooting with irons in such low light, so I had to let him walk. Made my heart sink.

Then this morning I went back to the same food plot hoping he would cruise through again looking for a hot doe. Around 0700 I got busted by a big doe. I almost changed spots after but didn't. Around 0845 I had a decent sized buck come in to the food plot cruising by I whistled to get him to stop he stopped and I dropped him DRT. I let him lay for a while then went to drag him to the trail so I wasn't driving the golf cart through the food plot. As I'm dragging I get about the end of the food plot and hear sticks breaking and turn around and look and see 2 yotes in the trail at the back of the food plot. I'll admit I'm not the best with my .45 but I fired 3 times total and hit one of them with my last shot.
View attachment 1854121

So all in all I killed 2 good bucks and a yote this weekend. I couldn't ask for anything better when it comes to hunting. Now all I need is a scope for my .45-70 for those dusk and dawn situations. I'll happily take not being able to shoot another buck this year, and will be on doe, yote, and eventually bobcat patrol the rest of the season. I'm thankful to God every day for my life but this weekend really stood out as extra special.
SOUNDS LIKE GOOD SEASON U GOT YOUR 2 BUCKS NOW CAN MOVE ON TO OTHER THINGS U LIKE TO DO

19207565-8616-43A5-8338-49B060440D6B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom