• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My 87 Cutty

I have no idea what a off the shelf refurbed Rocket 350 costs but, if you are doing the swap yourself, I would think a local builder could do you better.

I once had a Chevy van and bought a ATK motor (305) with core swap, ended up swapping the right bank head, sunk the valves "2 TIMES""", it worked out warranty wise, where it more than paid for the motor and all other parts needed but, only because I was working on it at a friends shop. Changing heads and motors in a van, is something I never want to do again.

Buy local, ***** local!
Any recommendations on a local builder?
I tried talking with summit today. I told to guy on the phone the details of the car, that I want to swap for a 350 preferably an olds, but if it comes down to it a chevy, he said it couldn't be done. So, that conversation ended quickly.
Of all places to shop and ask questions, one would think they would know that it can be and has been done before, still kind of stumped on that one, now I'm glad I did not make to trip to McDonough.
I did however talk to the guys at Napa, they can get and olds 350 long block and a matching transmission for a reasonable price, however, for the core, the engine and trans has to be the same as the new one. WTF....

The engine is out, Olds 350 going back in. I am taking all the parts off so that I can turn the engine and tans in for a core.
I have some questions about the emission parts, it is pass the 25 year age requirement as far as testing goes, so do I need this stuff back on the new engine?
I have read that some people take out the A.I.R pump (one hose was kinked off near the cat, this appears to be common and not needed) to make room for the new headers, some peoples cars never run right when they do an emissions delete, I am kind of lost here as what to keep or get rid of.

your car is emissions free,yank all that crap off,you wont need it with an
aftermarket setup

Like I said in an earlier post, I took a 310 Wildcat out of a 1964 Buick LeSabre and put it in a 1987 Cutlass. Everything bolted up, including the motor mounts, transmission mounts. I installed a rebuilt 350 transmission. All of the transmission mounts and shifting links worked. Everything on the front of the V6 motor that was in it mounted up to the Wildcat motor.
The only things that I had to do to make it work was: I had to grind a slot on the aluminum alternator bracket so I could turn my distributor for timing. I had to install a variable resistor to the coil so it would not burn up. I cut the long fan shroud that was in it down for the V8.
If I can do all of this, you can put just about anything in it and make it work, lol
I think the guy at Summit didn't have a clue on how to help you.

Save all the stuff you pull off
Some people need it to do a factory stock restoration

And the Internet is your friend
There Is a Internet forum out there somewhere for your car
And I'm sure someone has swapped in chebby 350

I'd keep it an olds 350 and try to make it all look factory if you can
unless you swap in a LS Chevy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few decent olds sites and the gbody forum is a good one with lots of info and knowledgeable members.
I hope I am able to keep it all olds, problem is that all the olds engine builders want the exact cores back, if not, I will end up with an additional 800+ in core fees which I don't think I would get back out of whats in there now, and I really do not want to have to deal with trying to list and sell, plus all that **** sitting around the house.
I assume the olds engine builders are 307 and th200 core rich, because everyone swaps them out for something bigger and better, I have seen very few that went back original or
"number matching" and those were the 442's.
Either way, it will look good and sound good when all is said and done.
I am not sure if Napa will be able to get around the exact return core issue or not, I have had other folks from parts store say they will look into what their stores have to offer, but I didnt hear back from them and assume they found out what I did.

I'm just curios why you want to stick with an Olds 350? Other than popping the hood and seeing the oil fill tube sticking up in from of the intake, what would be the point? I am saying that as going with a Chevy 350 would open your parts options WAY up and keep your trans options open without having to find a universal bell housing case or using an adapter plate.

If it bugged you too much, just paint the block and heads blue or gold depending on which period you would want to pay homage too.

I'm just curios why you want to stick with an Olds 350? Other than popping the hood and seeing the oil fill tube sticking up in from of the intake, what would be the point? I am saying that as going with a Chevy 350 would open your parts options WAY up and keep your trans options open without having to find a universal bell housing case or using an adapter plate.

If it bugged you too much, just paint the block and heads blue or gold depending on which period you would want to pay homage too.
Originally I wanted to keep in the olds family, but in this short period of time, I have learned that it is more of a PITA trying to keep it olds. So, Chevy it will be.
I first read that it was a pain to swap everything to sbc. From what I gather, its just a battery wire, mounts, brackets and some other wiring. I am not sure that the AC will be on the same side or not, but I can order new AC hoses and parts for a Monte Carlo and off I go. All that stuff is not a big deal to me.
Some people made it seem like a huge deal and the world was gonna end and it wouldn't look right, I did see some nasty hack jobs, but there if done right and the proper time taken, I have seen some beauties with the sbc.

The 2004R trans will work well, weak point is the input shaft and can be installed when rebuilt.

I can find you an old engine if you want one, I also have many sbc cores for 350 and one 400

I have a sbc 355 rated at 430HP pricey though......VERY reliable with lots of torque.

That year cutlass came with either a olds engine or a sbc engine, depending upon where it was built.

A/C can use either setup due to crossover from both engines. If using sbc, can have hoses made, not expensive to do.

Either setup is going to be fine. Parts are available for both, buy the way, Summit is not who you need to ask for info

If I can help just ask.

P>S> Chevy trucks with 6.2 diesels are based on the olds engine platform, Belt setups are the same as gas engines. without smog accessories
might can grab parts from them.

Crate engine - stick to reman from autozone, or Jasper engines there in atlanta (I think) if you go that route.

James.

Back
Top Bottom