• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My 87 Cutty

Well just to kind of give an update on my progress, here are some before and after pics. I have been working on the suspension taking it all apart, blasting, re painting and new bushings and ball joints.
Today I went to put the spring back it, while compressing the spring the compressor failed and about left me a limb shy. SO, that said, what are some thoughts on air ride systems? I dont think they are near as dangerous to install and I kind of dig a slightly lower stance.

Attachments

• cutty 1.JPG
    cutty 1.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 43
  • cutty 2.JPG
    cutty 2.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 35
  • cutty 3.JPG
    cutty 3.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Cutty DS Wheel well nasty.JPG
    Cutty DS Wheel well nasty.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Cutty DS Wheel well.JPG
    Cutty DS Wheel well.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 22
Any recommendations on a local builder?
I tried talking with summit today. I told to guy on the phone the details of the car, that I want to swap for a 350 preferably an olds, but if it comes down to it a chevy, he said it couldn't be done. So, that conversation ended quickly.
Of all places to shop and ask questions, one would think they would know that it can be and has been done before, still kind of stumped on that one, now I'm glad I did not make to trip to McDonough.
I did however talk to the guys at Napa, they can get and olds 350 long block and a matching transmission for a reasonable price, however, for the core, the engine and trans has to be the same as the new one. WTF....
dude pm me..any..any GM motor can be installed..with no mods to anything..the cutlass shared all its parts from the malibu as well as the regal and as far as a builder of olds or BOP stuff motor wise would be Don Macintosh..but the 350 small block chevies are more economical the build and the money saved could be put to performance and or suspension parts...ive never ever needed a spring compressor to remove or install front springs..so technique was ..well wrong IHO you are just down the road from me...so anything or advise you need just let me know

dude pm me..any..any GM motor can be installed..with no mods to anything..the cutlass shared all its parts from the malibu as well as the regal and as far as a builder of olds or BOP stuff motor wise would be Don Macintosh..but the 350 small block chevies are more economical the build and the money saved could be put to performance and or suspension parts...ive never ever needed a spring compressor to remove or install front springs..so technique was ..well wrong IHO you are just down the road from me...so anything or advise you need just let me know

drop an LS in it with a TKO behind it :cool:

Holy ****!, look at what I got in the mail today.

This car was my granny's back when I was a teenager, recently my dad asked I could sell it for him, I said yeah real easy, I will buy it consider it sold and picked it up today.

I drove this car some when I was teenager and now my son will be able to drive it as a teenager as well!
I LOVE the old school feel of it.
Cassette deck, cig lighter, ashtrays in the back of the seats, the gas cap is behind the license plate, no air bags etc.
It is the (I think) last year they made this car in RWD, maybe 88, it's got the 5.0 307 with a 4 speed auto. 4BBL with 87K miles

This car will be a beauty again without a doubt.
It sat for about 5-6 years till today, I went to the parts store to get a new battery and starting fluid. I asked the guys at the counter how to get the old gas out of the tank, he said there is no need to drain it if, he and a customer both recommended that I put some seafaom and some fresh gas in it, use the starting fluid to start and keep it running until the new mixture of fuel made it through the system....she purrs like a kitten!

Besides the obvious paint job, I believe the valve seals are leaking and it burns oil quite a bit, everything else seems to be in good shape at this point. I want to fully restore this car, this will be my first project car that will eventually be a complete redo.
Where should I, or where you y'all start?

View attachment 1050087
G body drop spindles and or two inch lowering springs..recommend the spindles to keep the geometry correct ..and make this thing handle. upgrade with at least the Billstien shocks but the QA1 adjustable are the way to ride an some large sway bars front and rear..air suspension is great but very expensive and wear and tear after many cycles..just build it like a G car and you will have a hotrod and a canyon carver as well

that takes a bit of fitment and some relocation of sway bars and cross members...but after its done it will be badass

you can never go wrong with a ZZ4, my opinion one of the best all around GM create motors you can get for the money. i stuffed one down in a 67 camaro and have been very pleased. i run the hell outta that car and so far have only bent a push rod haha

you can never go wrong with a ZZ4, my opinion one of the best all around GM create motors you can get for the money. i stuffed one down in a 67 camaro and have been very pleased. i run the hell outta that car and so far have only bent a push rod haha
I like the ZZ4 the are indestructible and fitment isnt an issue 400+ hp out of the crate and with proper tuning can get close to 450-480 hp but for me i like building them to my specs...cams heads carbs and the weight of vehicle...and intended purpose of driving..

Back
Top Bottom