• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My beer can chicken

I'm really enjoying this smoker. Did a beer can chicken today using a gadget from Steven Raichler. Beer used was blue moon wheat ale and I added some rosemary and garlic to the canister. 2.5 hours at 350 degrees
View attachment 1274240

How did the chicken rack work? I'm debating on getting a ceramic green egg one.

How did the chicken rack work? I'm debating on getting a ceramic green egg one.

It worked great as far as I can tell but I dont have much experience with beer can chicken. I dont know which one you're looking at getting but I like the Steven Raichler one because it has the tray to catch the fat/juice and it comes with the canister so you dont have to use an actual can of beer, you could put whatever you want in there in addition to pieces of onion or fruit.

It worked great as far as I can tell but I dont have much experience with beer can chicken. I dont know which one you're looking at getting but I like the Steven Raichler one because it has the tray to catch the fat/juice and it comes with the canister so you dont have to use an actual can of beer, you could put whatever you want in there in addition to pieces of onion or fruit.
Maybe I've been doing it wrong, but I've never found beer butt chicken to be that different from spatchcocked chicken, which always has come out tender and juicy on my Bubba Keg.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Depends on a number of factors but they say you should get 1-3 hours per lb of pellets and hopper size is like 20-40 lbs depending on which smoker you get. You should be able to do a 12 hour brisket no problem. Good thing about pellet smoker is it regulates the temperature for you. I would think kettles and ceramic egg types would take more maintenance with regards temperature control.
The hopper on mine wouldn't hold no where near 20lbs. Plus another problem, the pellets tend to cling to the sides and I have to push them to the center in the hopper. It ain't a rec tec. It requires attention about once an hour. I ain't missing much of a football game.

The hopper on mine wouldn't hold no where near 20lbs. Plus another problem, the pellets tend to cling to the sides and I have to push them to the center in the hopper. It ain't a rec tec. It requires attention about once an hour. I ain't missing much of a football game.

My RecTec holds 40# in the hopper and have never had a feed or jam issue. Now that I figured out crispy wings, wife wants them more often. Might have to look into beer can rack as they are addicting to cook on.

My RecTec holds 40# in the hopper and have never had a feed or jam issue. Now that I figured out crispy wings, wife wants them more often. Might have to look into beer can rack as they are addicting to cook on.

Yea RecTec I know has a 40# and I think Yoders do too. My smoker is small so the hopper is only 18# but thats good enough to where even if I have to do a 18+ hour smoke I only have to top it off once. I will say that I know what InTune InTune is talking about when he says he has to push down the pellets. Mine creates a little well and I occassionally will go in and push them down towards the auger. I've never let it run to the point where the auger isnt pushing pellets but theres some in the hopper but I can see perhaps it being an issue.

How do you get the crispy skin?

A little baking power and salt on the skins from Leatherhead's suggestion. Cook at 250 for 30 minutes and them 450 for 45-50 minutes. Done it twice now and wife is like don't buy those expensive (from restaurant) wings covered in oil from me any more. Somewhat healthy and have a good flavor.

Back
Top Bottom