• View counts are not updating correctly, we are looking into it now. Thanks!

My Budget precision rifle build, Added 600 yard pics

Glockadopoulos

Default rank <3500 posts
Yeah, Mean Talk!
85   0
Reaction score
Here's the breakdown:
Savage model 12FV .308 from Cabelas $450 out the door
SWFA SS fixed 12 power scope $300
Choate stock $180
Burris XTR rings $50

I've been keeping a notebook of every load I try, right now doing most shooting off a bench at 215 yards. Soon I will build a bench at 350 and 600. My dad has been helping me work up loads, today the round count just hit 180. First pic below is with some 185 Berger bullets sitting on 41.6 gr of Varget, OAL just barely seating bullet into lands. It's an honest 5 shot 1/2 MOA. Second picture is with factory loaded Federal GMM 175 SMK. I feel like the "build" has been a pretty good bang for the buck. Hopefully I can work up to holding consistent 3/4 MOA at 600 yards; this should be a good challenge for developing my skills!
IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

Cleaned with a patch of boretech copper eliminator between each shot for first five shots, then cleaned between every 10 shots until I got to 50 rounds. Don't know if it helped, but it didn't hurt.

Done. Pretty plain Jane, 1999 style stock that's not nearly as tacticool as the $800 chassis systems folks like. I think it'd be hard to beat as Savage without getting into a lot more money.

You are preaching to the choir. I have a model 12 bbl 308 with hand loads and a cheap Bushnell scope that is sub moa and just a touch over moa with ZQ1 cheap ammo.

Starting a budget build with a savage barreled action is a really good way to begin. I have an LRP single shot in .243 that is 1/4 minute out of the box with factory loads (58 grain). I have been able to hold it to 0.65 @ 200, 1.18 @ 300 and 2.20 @ 400. That's really, really hard to beat buying ammo off the shelf and pulling a gun out of a box. It's one of those guns that you never even think about selling.

Nice choice on the scope. Was the factory stock so bad you had to ditch it right away?

How do you feel about the barrel length? I realize it's mainly a bench rifle but it seems like a 26" heavy barrel would be a little unwieldy.

Back
Top Bottom