• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

**my colt commander build -- UPDATED!!!!!

georgiabow

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
44   0
Reaction score
traded into this colt commander lightweight a week ago (1962 serial number), and it seemed like a good candidate for some customizing. ive been carrying a glock 23 here lately, but deep down inside, i have been itching to get back to a 45acp 1911. i like to work on guns, so in a week i have got alot done on this thing.

before:
[Broken External Image]:

i have refinished the slide, done trigger job, refinished the frame, all hardware is being swapped to stainless (still gotta get the extended thumb safety and extended magazine catch), ed brown beavertail, bobtailed with snakeskin pattern on the MSH, removed metal under the trigger guard to help get higher grip, wilson combat hammer, nighthawk trigger, and i flared the magwell, and i made some bobtail cocobolo grips in our "western checker" pattern. id say she's coming along nicely.

after:
[Broken External Image]:
[Broken External Image]:
i121.photobucket.com_albums_o239_hugh_g_rection_5_1.jpg

[Broken External Image]:

UPDATE:
did some milling in the top of the slide today. i think it looks great. ive always liked the serrations in the top of the kimber raptor slides, so i did it to this gun today.
[Broken External Image]:
[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Very well done sir. This will make a great carry pistol. Did you use a mill to maintain the angle on the bobtail cut?

no. after i drilled the pin hole, i burred it out, installed the MSH, and then started working the frame tangs down to match the bobtail. when you do it with a mill, you get a straight cut, but the bobtail MSH isnt straight, so it doesnt look right to me doing it that way.

Back
Top Bottom