• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Favorite Deer Calibers

30.06 and .308 is all I would ever need around here for hunting.

I typically hunt with .308 but that 30.06 is one helluva devastating round. If I dont get to go for a lights out shot with the .308 I have to track far more often than my brother does with his 30.06. Kinda wishing I went that route after hunting some hogs with him this year.

300 mag is just to big of a cartridge for a deer here in Ga.. Period! the 30-30 is the perfect cartridge of all time. Arguably. Maybe step up to the 270 for longer shots but you very rarely get a shot over 100 yards with all the brush and the 30-30 could stretch out to 250 with the levevelution ammo. 300 mag is good for grizzly, long range elk and very long range mt. goat. Other than that it's like frying one egg on the Japanese Hibachi Grill. Yum! We go every Christmas night over there of Town Lake Parkway. Yes I get more than on egg.
Nothing wrong with a 300 Win Mag if you choose the right bullet. There's also nothing wrong with the 30-30 as long as you work within it's limitations. A 250 yard shot with a 30-30 is an extreme shot and, frankly, I would never take it. On the other hand, the 300 WM is built to do that pretty much effortlessly. As for not getting long shots is Georgia. I've killed one deer at 260 yards and another at 187 yards. In the late season I often find myself in situations where I could take a shot over 200 yards and that's not over a bean field or on a power line.

Nothing wrong with a 300 Win Mag if you choose the right bullet. There's also nothing wrong with the 30-30 as long as you work within it's limitations. A 250 yard shot with a 30-30 is an extreme shot and, frankly, I would never take it. On the other hand, the 300 WM is built to do that pretty much effortlessly. As for not getting long shots is Georgia. I've killed one deer at 260 yards and another at 187 yards. In the late season I often find myself in situations where I could take a shot over 200 yards and that's not over a bean field or on a power line.
When someone says "thick ga woods" I immediately think they're a city slicker. Anyone who lives in the country knows power lines, fields, and pastures are your best hunting grounds and middle ga has tons of opportunities for several hundred yard shots.

When someone says "thick ga woods" I immediately think they're a city slicker. Anyone who lives in the country knows power lines, fields, and pastures are your best hunting grounds and middle ga has tons of opportunities for several hundred yard shots.
Hell, once the leaves are down I can often see 200 yards on hardwood flood plains and hillsides. Get some magnification on them and there are plenty of holes in the brush bigger than a deer's vital area. I think that so few deer are killed at those ranges in that circumstance primarily because most hunters aren't looking that far out.

our club doesn't have a lane more than 150 yards. most of are stands are 75 - tops. my 30/30 has been spot on for me, but i'm old school. i got a hog this season at about 90 yards, wouldn't have taken the shot if it was a deer.

1. .280 Rem... All time favorite
2. .308 Win... Old favorite
3. .45/70 Govt... Heavy favorite
4. .300 BO... New fun favorite

Pistol
1. .44 Mag...
2. 10 mm new fun to try, really want to go hog hunting with this...

.300 BLK
.30-06
300 WIN MAG
300 WBY MAG
7-08
264 MAG
6.5 CREEDMOOR
25-06
257 WBY
270 WIN
240 WBY
26 NOSLER
338 LAPUA
338 MAG
6.5 CREEDMOOR
6.5X300 WBY MAG

AH TO HECK WITH IT WE LIKE THEM ALL, EACH ONE HAS IT'S EXCITEMENT AND DOES A GREAT JOB ON YOUR GAME, ITS ALL BULLET PLACEMENT ANY WAY, JUST BULLET PLACEMENT...

Back
Top Bottom