• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Firefox browser can no longer connect to the ODT

It's the same as for years now... Win 7, Firefox 43, AVG but no web page scanning.

I'm reluctant to "upgrade" Firefox for a variety of reasons.

I wasn't saying the certificate is bad-- I can see that negotiation in a packet capture. But then there's no response to my http get.

I suspect it's related to the available SSL/TLS cyphers in Win 7/Firefox 43.

There is a lot of pressure being applied from the industry side (certificate issuers, payment gateways, various software publishers) to not support the TLS/SSL cypher protocols that have proven vulnerable to hacking in the past. Older operating systems and browsers have this issue.

I don't know what is preventing you from upgrading to the latest version of Firefox, but I doubt we can provide any help for the Win 7/Firefox 43 combo.

I encourage you to update at least the browser. Internet wide, it's going to get worse in September. Several major payment gateways are forcing web hosts to abandon TLS 1.0 and 1.1, which is going to set off a whole range of certificate problems for users of Win 7.

In the past, I found if I did not keep Firefox current with the updates ( it is 55.03, now) it just flat out quit working.

If you don't want to update, find another browser.

I really like win7 , I hope they, whoever that is, doesn't fix it so it's broke

The problem is, Microsoft isn't actively updating Win 7 anymore, so issues like the one we're discussing (outdated cyphers) will never go away. They'll keep issuing important security patches for Win 7 until 2020, and after that, support completely ends.

The malware and hacking stuff that goes on all day, every day, should be motivation enough to update. It's become an all out, digital war zone. It took me a while to get comfortable with Windows 10, particularly the things that rubbed me the wrong way (like not having control of when updates happen, the amount of info Microsoft wants you to volunteer about your computing habits), but I got there. And Windows Defender (free!) running atop Windows 10 is probably the safest bet in the anti-malware world for a PC user. Microsoft finally got its head out of its ass on security, on a number of levels.

The last couple of days on my android phone the Samsung browser stopped loading with a "This webpage is not available" message.

The detailed message is ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY.

Flushed everything, no change.

Chrome works, but it's so slow on my phone I hate it.
That's the same message I'm getting on chrome, been like that for a week. I can use firefox and it loads.....

It's the same as for years now... Win 7, Firefox 43, AVG but no web page scanning.

I'm reluctant to "upgrade" Firefox for a variety of reasons.

I wasn't saying the certificate is bad-- I can see that negotiation in a packet capture. But then there's no response to my http get.

My testing indicates you need at least Firefox 49.

It's doing the same on my phone browser(chrome). Google is either blocking it so it won't connect, or something went wrong with chrome. I installed Firefox and it came right up. I thought maybe the site had crashed.

Back
Top Bottom