• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My First Hunt

I almost can't believe what I'm reading. I have bird hunted my whole life and to kill a woodcock on the first outing even with 25 shots is amazing. Those little suckers weave in and out of woods and brush and you have to be lightning fast to even get your gun up. I have only shot a few in my days. Personally, I don't care for the taste of woodcock and only eaten a few but would be sacriligious for you not to eat and enjoy that bird. Incredible!

That's what I was thinking last night when I read this.
First you don't see very many and second they're hard as hell to hit.
It's like the guy that shoots a pretty 12 point his first time deer hunting, lol.

I almost can't believe what I'm reading. I have bird hunted my whole life and to kill a woodcock on the first outing even with 25 shots is amazing. Those little suckers weave in and out of woods and brush and you have to be lightning fast to even get your gun up. I have only shot a few in my days.
That's what I was thinking last night when I read this.
First you don't see very many and second they're hard as hell to hit.
It's like the guy that shoots a pretty 12 point his first time deer hunting, lol.

THAT's what I tried telling him but I think he thought I was just being complimentary. Glad he'll get to hear it from others.
I bet the VAST majority of hunters (certainly in Georgia) wouldn't know a woodcock if it shook hands with them but even of those that do I bet most have never seen one and of those that have and tried to bag one there are infinitely more misses than connections. "Ninja" I'm telling you.

Well thanks guys. Maybe because I have never tried to shoot anything, I don't have much to compare it to. But I'm glad I have a decent trophy from my first hunt. I'm sure I'll get more perspective in the future as I try to hunt more of them. If I bag another one I'll probably want to mount it.

Back
Top Bottom