• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My first reload

I bought a lee 50th anv. kit came with lee thrower and scale, the thrower just seems a little cheap made I have been using the thrower to fill the pan for the scale and then measuring each load. When I do the 1000 round of 223 I ordered that will take me forever, so I want to see if there is a thrower that works better and want break me anymore than I already am. If yall have any suggestions let me know.

The Lee powder measure is cheaply made, but it works great when you don't use a pan. I know the lever hits the pan every time you lower it. Lee should move the lever, or put a longer tube to prevent this. You can put an extension tube on the measure to help with this. You can also charge the case, and gently pour the powder into the pan for weighing. The Lee Pro Auto disk used in cunjunction with the powder through expander die works great for handgun loads, and can be adapted for .223 use. This will make loading your 45 ACP with #5 a breeze. I use the RCBS powder measure for most of my extruded/stick powder loads, as it is much more heavy duty. I still have a Lee measure that I leave set to charge my .223 using W748 ball powder. It meters great, and I go straight to the case with it. I use a digital scale to weigh an occassional pre-zeroed case after charging, but if you keep the measure evenly filled, it hardly varies at all.

If it's plastic, take a fabric softener dryer sheet and wipe it down. It will remove static if it is there. Congrats on your first batch!

I just started a month or so ago myself, and I have to admit it's more fun than I expected. My 9mm loads seem to cycle my Glock G19 just fine, but I think I need to work up from the low-end .45ACP load to cycle my G30 more reliably. I'm starting light with both (I want them to go BOOM, not ka-BOOM). I'll eventually work up home-defense and plinking loads for both. The next thing will be to get a set of .223 Rem dies and start playing with that =)

Congrats on the first loads! Now get out to the range and put a real smile on your face.

Thought I would have my 223 stuff by now by the ice and snow slowed it down hope I will see it tomorrow it will take some time to do 1000 rounds and get on here for advice (lol) but sure am looking forward to it.

i've been considering reloading (5.7x28) but wondered what happens when things go bad. on my FNH ps90, i fear that a bad load may do more damage because of the proximity of the face. i've seen a few firearms on youtube explode and that worries me.

-a|ex

Back
Top Bottom