• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

my first silencer/can/suppressor

I dont even own anything threaded in 22lr................................................................................yet
You will. I won't even buy a gun now unless it's threaded. LOL

I returned the weirdly threaded 10/22 I bought local (another thread) and then purchased this very lightly used 10/22 bull barrel target takedown. The barrel is about 16.5" and threaded. It's pretty freaking cool.

View attachment 1091905
SWEET SETUP! I remember you posting about the odd thread pitch on that 10/22. Glad you got it straightened out.

They are addictive and yes they will make everything dirty. On AR15's, think about putting in a heavier buffer to even out the system some. The extra dwell time the gas has it what tends to make everything so dirty. Now that you have a can, you will hate going to an indoor range with some who is shooting an AR15 without one. No concussion blast is a nice side effect of the cans. How much POI shift did you have with the new can? One last thing, if you haven't started already, buy 22lr standard velocity and 9mm 147gr subs as there is a huge difference in the sound. Trust me that neither will last too long once you start shooting.

Welcome to the addiction.

They are addictive and yes they will make everything dirty. On AR15's, think about putting in a heavier buffer to even out the system some. The extra dwell time the gas has it what tends to make everything so dirty. Now that you have a can, you will hate going to an indoor range with some who is shooting an AR15 without one. No concussion blast is a nice side effect of the cans. How much POI shift did you have with the new can? One last thing, if you haven't started already, buy 22lr standard velocity and 9mm 147gr subs as there is a huge difference in the sound. Trust me that neither will last too long once you start shooting.

Welcome to the addiction.

Surprisingly it was only 1/4 inch low with zero windage shift.

Nice, seems mine shoot a little lower canned up. Once you know this, its easy enough to switch back and forth. Once you get your 9mm can, put a little water in it a be prepared to be shocked and how quiet it is until it starts steaming the water out (6-10 rounds).

As far as .22lr goes, if your barrel is 4.5" or less you can use pretty much any bulk pack ammo and it'll stay subsonic.

If your barrel is over 4.5" you'll need to buy subsonic or standard velocity ammo. As long as it's rated below 1100fps it'll stay quiet out of the longer barrels.

I'm realizing this as I run out of CCI Suppressor. I have lots of SV CCI and Eley so I'll try that. The CCI Suppressor is surprisingly clean.
CCI Standard stays subsonic out of my 16" FV-SR barrel. It's 1080fps if I remember correctly. It's accurate enough that I can consistently hit a 4"x6" target at 250 yards with it as long as it isn't too windy out. A little bit of wind will blow that little 40 grain bullet WAY off.

Lately I've been using Aguila subsonic. It's 1025fps. It's so slow that you can actually SEE the bullet go down range on a sunny day. LOL No lie, you can watch that sucker through your scope and see it arch right into the target!

CCI Standard stays subsonic out of my 16" FV-SR barrel. It's 1080fps if I remember correctly. It's accurate enough that I can consistently hit a 4"x6" target at 250 yards with it as long as it isn't too windy out. A little bit of wind will blow that little 40 grain bullet WAY off.

Lately I've been using Aguila subsonic. It's 1025fps. It's so slow that you can actually SEE the bullet go down range on a sunny day. LOL No lie, you can watch that sucker through your scope and see it arch right into the target!
So, what scope and rings are you using on the FV-SR? I have the same gun and should have my suppressor very soon. I am deciding on which scope right now. I have a big power line on my property, so I can shoot a long way, just didn't know how far with the standard velocity stuff.

I'm realizing this as I run out of CCI Suppressor. I have lots of SV CCI and Eley so I'll try that. The CCI Suppressor is surprisingly clean.

Don't forget about Aguila SV and SS. I picked a couple bricks of subs for $35 a brick, on sale, and they run and group outstanding. Most Academy's have it in stock, although the price bounces around. I was tickled to find out my 5.5 Buckmark would cycle the subs perfectly suppressed. My Ruger American is quieter than a pellet gun running them too.

Back
Top Bottom