• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Garand went boom.. good and bad. I need some help.

Looks as if the locking lugs on the trigger bow were NOT locked into the lugs on the receiver legs and T/G fell out with the first shot... Though I am not sure that the trigger group could have even functioned, without it being locked into the receiver... Swing the trigger bow open, set the T/B lugs into the slots on the receiver legs, floorplate should be flush with the stock at that point... push trigger bow towards pistol grip of stock and it should swing closed and snap into place... with a fairly loud click.!!!

Then cycle action, should be fine if done correctly...

HTH,

Video is spot on...to a point... that is how it should look when T/G is locked up and in correctly... but his premise that the hole should be enlarged is wrong... and yes, you can smack the trigger bow with a rubber hammer to get it to close and lock...as long as you have the trigger group, set in its correct location to do so...

HTH

Thanks for that tip. So, it doesn't have screws holding it together?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No, men in battle usually don't have a screwdriver in their pocket....lol. they were designed to be broken down quickly into main components or parts groups, if you will, quickly for cleaning and and reassembly in the field....detailed disassembly and repair is done by trained armorers , they have the screwdrivers, hammers, , files etc....could you imagine a a squad of riflemen scrambling to find the small screws that fell out or was dropped on the ground on a battlefield to get his rifle back in working condition.
Military small arms are by purpose designed to be a simple for cleaning and maintenance as they possibly can be.

No, men in battle usually don't have a screwdriver in their pocket....lol. they were designed to be broken down quickly into main components or parts groups, if you will, quickly for cleaning and and reassembly in the field....detailed disassembly and repair is done by trained armorers , they have the screwdrivers, hammers, , files etc....could you imagine a a squad of riflemen scrambling to find the small screws that fell out or was dropped on the ground on a battlefield to get his rifle back in working condition.
Military small arms are by purpose designed to be a simple for cleaning and maintenance as they possibly can be.
Makes sense. Guess it wasn't seated well, or something is wrong with it.

If anyone has a suggestion, or knows a gunsmith or someone who understands and appreciates milsurps that I can take it too, that would be great.

Don't start enlarging anything, you will render the weapon inoperable.
I was issued M1's and M14's when I first went in the USMC..didn't hold a 16 until about three months before I left Vietnam,,,,

Looks as if the locking lugs on the trigger bow were NOT locked into the lugs on the receiver legs and T/G fell out with the first shot... Though I am not sure that the trigger group could have even functioned, without it being locked into the receiver... Swing the trigger bow open, set the T/B lugs into the slots on the receiver legs, floorplate should be flush with the stock at that point... push trigger bow towards pistol grip of stock and it should swing closed and snap into place...

Then cycle action, should be fine if done correctly...

HTH,
Just seeing this...

Will do. That sounds easy enough. Thanks.

My M1D is a BEAR to latch and un-latch with the replacement stock that it came with.

Just make sure you hear an audible click when it latches.
So it is a click into place type trigger group/guard latch. I'll listen for that.

Yes... Thats how Mr. Garand designed it... the FINEST in simplicity and NO tools needed to field strip rifle and clean it...

Makes sense. Guess it wasn't seated well, or something is wrong with it.

If anyone has a suggestion, or knows a gunsmith or someone who understands and appreciates milsurps that I can take it too, that would be great.

If you were closer to me I'd spend some time with you and familiarize you more with it,
It isn't complicated and I agree with an earlier post that it may not have been seated as well as it should.
Make sure when you press the trigger guard in the slot that you hear the "click" that tells you it is locked in place.
PM SAR6114, he did live in Gwinnett, he's an old Marine too and he would prob. help you out, he's a good guy .

Back
Top Bottom