• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Garand went boom.. good and bad. I need some help.

Well that is helpful too. The way he made it open is what happened on that first shot. Then as i messed with it a little, the whole trigger group slipped down and out in my hand. It never looked broken, tho that was my first fear. Gonna try it now.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you were closer to me I'd spend some time with you and familiarize you more with it,
It isn't complicated and I agree with an earlier post that it may not have been seated as well as it should.
Make sure when you press the trigger guard in the slot that you hear the "click" that tells you it is locked in place.
PM SAR6114, he did live in Gwinnett, he's an old Marine too and he would prob. help you out, he's a good guy .
Man I appreciate that Badger. I do want to learn. It sounds like this issue could be pretty simple. I'll look up your reference and thanks. I do have a friend on here in Lawrenceville whose offered to help me learn about the collection I've bought. I was first thinking this was broken and would require my paying a smith to get it repaired.

I messed with it some and see now how the guard clicks into place, but the whole grouping doesn't easily ride down into place. I'm not sure from which direction to push it, and I fear banging it without knowing if I have it going in correctly. I'll look for a vid to see if anyone shows how to reassemble this part.

I messed with it some and see now how the guard clicks into place, but the whole grouping doesn't easily ride down into place. I'm not sure from which direction to push it, and I fear banging it without knowing if I have it going in correctly. I'll look for a vid to see if anyone shows how to reassemble this part.

Sometimes you have to jiggle a little as you push..DO NOT HIT THE TRIGGER GROUP WITH ANYTHING.

Take the barreled action out of the stock. Then install the trigger group and watch how the lugs lock with the trigger guard.

Take back off and reinstall in stock.

It should take some (hopefully a lot) of effort to seat and lock the trigger guard.

If you get south of Atlanta before you get it looked at, I'd be happy to show you how it works.

I got paid by Uncle Sugar to learn how to do this blind folded. :thumb:

Sometimes you have to jiggle a little as you push..DO NOT HIT THE TRIGGER GROUP WITH ANYTHING.

I'll give it another try. I'm not sure the direction it should go in first tho. I'll watch that vid, see if it helps. Thanks.

Take the barreled action out of the stock. Then install the trigger group and watch how the lugs lock with the trigger guard.

Take back off and reinstall in stock.

It should take some (hopefully a lot) of effort to seat and lock the trigger guard.

If you get south of Atlanta before you get it looked at, I'd be happy to show you how it works.

I got paid by Uncle Sugar to learn how to do this blind folded. :thumb:

That's more than I understand and can try at this point. Fumble fingers here will break something, lol. I appreciate your offer. I'll let you know if it doesn't work out with a friend close by home first. I truly want to know how to take it apart for cleaning, and put it back together again, after I get this part working again.

Alright, I got it back in.

Took a little fuguring out, but once I rotated the trigger guard all the way up, I saw the pins on both sides that were blocking it from seating properly, move up so that it just dropped right into place.

Then I 'clicked' the guard back down. So, I'm guessing it wasn't clicked in to start with before my first shot Sunday.

Whew, I appreciate you all giving me tips, vids, advice and help. Next, learning what to take apart for cleaning.

Thank you guys. ODT Rocks!!!

Alright, I got it back in.

Took a little fuguring out, but once I rotated the trigger guard all the way up, I saw the pins on both sides that were blocking it from seating properly, move up so that it just dropped right into place.

Then I 'clicked' the guard back down. So, I'm guessing it wasn't clicked in to start with before my first shot Sunday.

Whew, I appreciate you all giving me tips, vids, advice and help. Next, learning what to take apart for cleaning.

Thank you guys. ODT Rocks!!!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAgYAAAAJGI0YTI5ZWNjLWUwODAtNGY4Zi05MDg2LTBjYmJmNzdiZTAyOA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom