• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Garand went boom.. good and bad. I need some help.

The trigger group magwell "floor" is actually a spring, and should exert tension on the stock when locked up. Stocks compress over time and may need replaced, shimmed, or glassed. CMP had some target prepped stocks that were glassed in order to restore proper lockup, but has been more than 10 years since I have seen one from them.
I did get it to fit back together and it feels snug. I'll have to shoot it again, but I'm hopeful it was only a problem of it being improperly seated to start with. If it does it again now, I would think your tip is likely the issue. I appreciate you mentioning that. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you have a collectable stock, also having a "shooter" stock is not a bad idea.

It doesn't happen often, but case head failure or case separation can occur, and often destroys the stock. There are several youtubes that show the destructive disassembly of a Garand stock. :blue:

If you have a collectable stock, also having a "shooter" stock is not a bad idea.

It doesn't happen often, but case head failure or case separation can occur, and often destroys the stock. There are several youtubes that show the destructive disassembly of a Garand stock. :blue:
I understand. I would say mine is a collector stock, with cartouches, etc. I don't plan to shoot it that often, but a few times a year with family or friends. I hope its not anything I really need to worry about.

I understand. I would say mine is a collector stock, with cartouches, etc. I don't plan to shoot it that often, but a few times a year with family or friends. I hope its not anything I really need to worry about.

Not really, doesn't happen often. But........

Oh, and don't shoot commercial 3006 in it unless it's specifically designed for the Garand. It will bend the op rod! (you can get an adjustable gas plug to allow it)

I have a .308 Garand. Does it run the same risk when firing commercial ammo?

I have a .308 Garand. Does it run the same risk when firing commercial ammo?
I don't know.... From what I've read it seems most people shoot whatever 308 they get cheapest. But even on Garand forums it's somewhat of a debate....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom