• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My new beaver killer

Will this set up work on hogs?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No run the thermal on my 308 bolt gun

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
I've pretty much given up on subs for hunting. They still spook. You can shoot game with a bow, and they spook. Just use the dang supers and kill more game faster.

Those A-max subs I mentioned earlier are a good "best of both worlds" round IMO. I wish I could recall the review I saw on here. The guy had some nice take down pics with that round.

Beaver can definitely be aggressive and yes they are very powerful. Trust me, I'm a trapper. I've had to pull one in that was on a leg hold trap. Interesting but not as exciting as getting a choke stick on a coyote. I think you will have no problems dropping hogs with your set up

Unless a hog has been wounded and running, I only take head shots on hogs. Everything else is just not consistently effective enough for me. With headshots you can use pretty much anything and getting into headshot range on a hog is easy. I've used 308, 5.56, .300 black and 9mm. I've only had a head shot fail once and that was with 185 grain, subsonic .308 at about 100 yards. No idea how, but he squealed, spun and toted it off. Supersonic only for me. I'll leave subs to the pistol calibers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I want to go hunting with a friend of mine that lives in South Georgia. I've only shot coyotes and now beavers all taken down with headshots. The gun and scope have no problem with that. Just didn't know how tough hogs are. With my hand loaded 220grs I'm getting 1 to 2 inch groups out of her. The lower doubles as a 22lr host so I have the bfs3 trigger in it so the pull could be better. And no I haven't used the 3rd setting on the animals. I like clean kills and I don't want to shoot a hog in the head and just wound it.

Thanks guys. I want to go hunting with a friend of mine that lives in South Georgia. I've only shot coyotes and now beavers all taken down with headshots. The gun and scope have no problem with that. Just didn't know how tough hogs are. With my hand loaded 220grs I'm getting 1 to 2 inch groups out of her. The lower doubles as a 22lr host so I have the bfs3 trigger in it so the pull could be better. And no I haven't used the 3rd setting on the animals. I like clean kills and I don't want to shoot a hog in the head and just wound it.

Let us know. I think you're good with your setup. 300 BLK is a great round for hogs. I also really like that you're concerned about clean kills. Bravo brother and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom