Will this set up work on hogs?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No run the thermal on my 308 bolt gun

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
blackhawksfan blackhawksfan :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

a-clean-beaver-is-a-happy-beaver-meme-1450469236.jpg

Beaver with some slight trimmings is pretty tasty. Now if you like gourmet style that would be beaver that has been totally removed of it's hair. Bushy beaver was all the rage decades ago but due to health concerns the FDA had to step in and kinda curb that. But like everything else that's not good for ya it can still be found in some back alleys of large cities.... beware though it's cheap and kinda gamey !!!!

Killed two last night
The pic with my foot is with the male. I didn't go back to get him till morning. The other is the female. When I got her he tried to come at me. Had to fire my rifle at him from about 3 feet as the rifle was hanging of my back. Took a hour for him to come back and was able to get a clean head shot. The last pic is a look through my thermal .I was waiting this time to make sire no others came up. The beaver started cooling off but you could still see the blood coming out the wound.

Rifle is a 300 blackout shooting subs.
10.5 in barrel with one of my older steel 308 cans. Thermal is a armasight 1.5 to 12 power 640 core. Love this scope.
I missed the part on what the beaver did wrong to deserve to be killed. Yes I know,, I know

I've been eye-to-eye with a beaver on dry ground whose back was at least knee-high. I was on the back of a three-wheeler about age 20. I had the bright idea to let my brother keep him blinded with the headlight while I sneaked over and tagged him. As I got closer, I began to rethink my choices in life. Fortunately, he bolted for the water before I had to prove my bravado. I'm pretty sure he could have whipped us both and driven off on our three-wheeler. Yeah, I think he could have reached the gear shift pedal.

Those things can get huge.

But that's awesome shooting there. From my limited experience with larger animals, I think you want to use a .308, or supersonic ammo in the .300. Multi-hundred pound animals don't necessarily go down, even with a heart shot-- and I'm talking about with bullets hitting at velocities that are properly inside their working velocity range, which subsonic .300 BO generally is NOT. .300 BO subsonic is basically a .40 S&W. Big animals can stay up, or run or fight, for a while, even when their clock is already running down. And my experience is mostly with animals less tough than a hog. Though I will say that .375 H&H through the boilermaker will drop a large warthog... but feral hogs get much much bigger than that. Though not as cool of a trophy.

Actually, 400-700 lb. animals: I saw them get anchored by the .375 H&H-- grounded-- sick/dying in place. With a .300 Rem Ultra Mag (not a "short" flavor), they stayed up, but sick on their feet. With a marginal hit... well, that's why you pay trackers. In the wide open spaces, the .375 doesn't have the range you need, otherwise it's my go-to gun because it's devastatingly effective, but I digress. I wouldn't think of hunting pigs with the likes of a .40 S&W, even if I could deal with the drop at distance. I'd want much more velocity, bullet mass, or both. But I've not been hog hunting, I do admit. When I do, it'll be an AR10, or .375 depending on the environment.

That thermal sight is awesome. I'm jealous. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom