• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My new Rugar Precision 6.5

jason.

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
So I know very very little about rifles. But I've always wanted something that will shoot a thousand yards just to say that I have something and be a bit of a challenge. I purchased this rifle yesterday after doing lots of research and figure that this is what I wanted. It has the vortex diamondback tactical 4-12x40 on it already. Curious if you guys have a similar setup and how far are y'all shooting out and what ammo are y'all using?

Attachments

• 20190421_012812.jpg
    20190421_012812.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 49
So I know very very little about rifles. But I've always wanted something that will shoot a thousand yards just to say that I have something and be a bit of a challenge. I purchased this rifle yesterday after doing lots of research and figure that this is what I wanted. It has the vortex diamondback tactical 4-12x40 on it already. Curious if you guys have a similar setup and how far are y'all shooting out and what ammo are y'all using?

I’ve had a lot of students running those rifles and none have had a problem reaching 1,000yds, and sometimes more, with it.

Hornady has 3 loads I really like; the 140grn ELD-M, the 143grn ELD-X, and the 147grn ELD-M.

I’ve had a lot of students running those rifles and none have had a problem reaching 1,000yds, and sometimes more, with it.

Hornady has 3 loads I really like; the 140grn ELD-M, the 143grn ELD-X, and the 147grn ELD-M.
I saw where they were reaching out with the 140 grain. Once it stepped up to around 143 or higher the price of the ammo skyrocketed.

For a lot of folks, it’s hard to beat the accuracy of the ammo offered by several manufacturers out there. I’ve run factory .308 175grn match loads out to 1450yds with accurate repeatability.

For me, it’s about the time. I just rarely have the time to load anymore. I’ve got a reloading room with a great setup and all the doodads, but no time to spend in it.

You will have flyers with the Hornady Black. Just because the bullet say match doesn't mean the powder is too. It will be fine for plinking but you will lose points in a match scenario. Ask ReservoirDawg10 ReservoirDawg10
Yup. Hornady Black and American Gunner are crap if you want consistency.

Back
Top Bottom