My new Sig P229 Blue Piranha, awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

borvix

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
117   0
Reaction score
I got a new thing. It's stunning and it shoots amazingly accurate. I'm hitting 1" orange targets on 40'. And it looks all business in person. It's not mundane, but all business. It feels very light. The gun reveals different variations of blue depending on lighting. It's very handy and easy on your hand. It's going to get promoted into my EDC.
I love this gun. I just can't put her down. The surface is super tough, much much stronger than nitron or that PVD on Legions.
It's a shame that only 500 have been made.

Attachments

• PSFix_20170407_103411.jpeg
    PSFix_20170407_103411.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 40
Handled one at a gun show almost 2 years ago when they did them, Lew Horton special. Definitely striking.

The Hogue G-10 Piranha grips feel great in my hand, pity I can't put them on my duty gun.

Call SIG, tell them you want the snail-style firing pin positioning pin replaced with a solid pin. See what they say.

I actually don't want solid pin. With all tens of thousands shot with my guns with snail pins, and hundead of thousands dryfired with laser ammo, I have never had a single problem. And I'm going to change nothing on her. She is perfect :)

There is a reason that SIG is spending multiples of $100,000 of their own money to swap out snail pins for solid pins in the duty weapons of LE agencies. But, do what ya wanna do! It is America, after all!

My truck runs perfectly, but if Dodge announces a recall on it I'll take it to the dealership.

Thanks Kmam, I didn't weight it but it feels light next to my p229 Legion. The frame is very lights, feels amost like polymer. Even my wife when first handled it ommented on how light it is.

I have never heard of it at all and there's no recall. If they change it on LE, its probably just a planned maintenance they perform either on age or average rounds shot or as per contract. Sig would be first to indicate a problem if there would be a problem.

So, since you ain't heard of it, and SIG hasn't announced a recall, there isn't an issue?

I am an Armorer for a large Fed LE agency that issues the P229. This is not planned maintenance. This has nothing to do with age. This has nothing to do with round count. It is not in our contract with SIG. Every single one of our agents with the newer models with the snail-style firing pin retaining pin had to turn it in. Some of them had a few hundred rounds; some had several thousand. Regardless of round count/age/maintenance status, every single P229 in the entire agency with a snail-type FPRP was taken from the agent it was issued to. Every. Single. One.

Even all the unissued, unfired (outside of factory test fire) P229's with the snail-type FPRP were sent in to have it swapped out.

They were temporarily issued another P229 in the meantime......every single one of the temps is an older P229 with the solid FPRP in it. Well over 1,000 P229's which were all overnighted to HQ on SIG's dime. SIG is sending their Armorer's to swap out the FPRP's on every single one.

I'm a HUGE fan of the vast majority of SIG's firearms, but they have issues just like everyone else. They are jumping through hoops, and spending a lot of money, to swap these out.

Oh yeh? And what FEd LE agency is that? :) The one on your sofa or in your garage? Listen, I posted here my new firearm, thanks for liking it. I can perfectly be without your totally made up stories. If there's an issue Sig will identify and handle it. Af far as I'm concerned there's no issue and have never been.
I fired more rounds and dryfired Sig guns countless times, and there never ever ever ever was any kind of malfunction. You want to debate some problem, go ahead open new topic and fish there for someone who supports your concerns I'm just sharing a new gun picure. No problems, no issues, world is perfect and wine is bubbly.

Thanks

So now I'm a liar? Pretty big claim, since you don't know me.

I am a Federal Air Marshal and have been since April 2002. I spent several years as the Lead Firearms Instructor and Armorer for the Atlanta Field Office. There are several folks here on ODT that know me personally and can vouch for me, if you think that's a lie, too.

Like I said, I'm a big fan of SIG firearms. At 40,000 rounds we turn our issue SIG P229's in for a new one. I am currently on my 5th issued P229. So, that's about 165,000 rounds fired out of my issued P229's, plus test firing other issued P229's during the course of my duties as an Instructor and Armorer. Let's say 200,000 rounds. Plus I've owned, or currently own, just about every other base model of SIG there has been, except for the P210 and P250 (although I've shot them both plenty of times).

I am a certified SIG Armorer, trained by SIG Armorer-Instructors. I am "on the inside" and aware of the issue that is currently going on. Also, this does not just affect the FAMS......it also affects the USSS, and numerous other state/county/local LE's that issue the same SIG handgun.

I was not trying to P you off, or dog your new gun. I was trying to pass on some helpful information that I may have.

I'm trying to get the word out because I don't think it's right that SIG is fixing LE firearms for agencies they have a contract with, but leaving civilians that own the EXACT SAME GUNS flapping in the breeze. Why? Cause it costs a lot of money to fix, and not all will break. So, with civilians they'll fix it on a case-by-case basis, AFTER it breaks.

I figure if enough folks know about it, and enough of them contact SIG about it, they may change how they handle it.

Call or don't call, doesn't make a difference to me. I honestly hope your new gun runs like a champ (like the vast majority of SIG's do) and never gives you a lick of trouble.

Semper Fi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom