• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Prepping Conundrum

RexProcer

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
2   0
Reaction score
Hello all. So I am brand new to prepping. I've been thinking about it for a while now, but I (soon) will finally have a good job to support any addiction I may have, and I feel like prepping is a useful way to spend my time. I have one big, huge, enormous, gigantic problem, however, and I would love some wisdom from those who have been doing this for a while. The problem (well, one of many, but the biggest) I have is the large distances my family, specifically my sister, is from me. I live in Marietta, my parents in Gainesville, Florida, and my sister.....in LA, Cali. So, you can see my problem already if S ever did HTF.

I can get to my parents relatively quickly (5 hour straight shot down 75, unless its blocked for whatever reason), but obviously LA is 2500 miles and several days drive with no stops. Now, as it is my sister, I'm sure most of you can understand when I say I don't accept the conclusion that it will not be possible to link up with her after my parents and I met up in a SHTF scenario. So, I am looking for some advice on this matter. I have suggested (to no avail) that she simply buy many 5 gallon gas cans so as to have enough gas stored to get across country without relying on gas stations, and to have at LEAST 1 friend ride with her, both armed of course. So my family isn't the prepper type, and it is difficult to convince them of anything; my sister most of all. Anyway, forget about that for right now.

What do yall think would be some good strategies to get her across country and be able link up with the rest of the family? Even if it means meeting in Texas or *insert middle America state here*, have any of you come across this issue before, and what do you think would be some ways to solve it? Thanks in advance.

If shtf, a cross country trip is insanity.

If you are not going to contribute anything useful, please stay out of the thread. Thank you. I have already addressed your very insightful comment in the OP.

Tell me how you're going to drive on a highway after shtf?

Thank you for yours as well, I very much appreciate the advice.

Hello all. So I am brand new to prepping. I've been thinking about it for a while now, but I (soon) will finally have a good job to support any addiction I may have, and I feel like prepping is a useful way to spend my time. I have one big, huge, enormous, gigantic problem, however, and I would love some wisdom from those who have been doing this for a while. The problem (well, one of many, but the biggest) I have is the large distances my family, specifically my sister, is from me. I live in Marietta, my parents in Gainesville, Florida, and my sister.....in LA, Cali. So, you can see my problem already if S ever did HTF.

I can get to my parents relatively quickly (5 hour straight shot down 75, unless its blocked for whatever reason), but obviously LA is 2500 miles and several days drive with no stops. Now, as it is my sister, I'm sure most of you can understand when I say I don't accept the conclusion that it will not be possible to link up with her after my parents and I met up in a SHTF scenario. So, I am looking for some advice on this matter. I have suggested (to no avail) that she simply buy many 5 gallon gas cans so as to have enough gas stored to get across country without relying on gas stations, and to have at LEAST 1 friend ride with her, both armed of course. So my family isn't the prepper type, and it is difficult to convince them of anything; my sister most of all. Anyway, forget about that for right now.

What do yall think would be some good strategies to get her across country and be able link up with the rest of the family? Even if it means meeting in Texas or *insert middle America state here*, have any of you come across this issue before, and what do you think would be some ways to solve it? Thanks in advance.

The bold you want to forget about is the most important part. If they do not want to prep, none of what you want to do or plan is going to matter because they are not going to listen.

You are talking about having your sister buy and store 5 gallon gas cans to drive across country. Where does she live in LA? If it is in an apartment, then she will be not allowed to store gas. If it is a house, is she going to treat and rotate the gas constantly for the major SHTF event that may never come? There are a ton of things to think about here beyond just the gas.

Also I can tell you with 100% certainty as someone who has spent a lot of time in LA, in the event of a major SHTF event, there is no way in hell she is even getting out of LA, let alone across country.

Last edited:
I understand your question but unfortunately have no answer for you.in a shtf a cross country trip is going to be nearly impossible.one or two states maybe but the whole damn country I'd say there is no hope. think of this how long did it take Lewis & Clark to cross the Louisiana purchase?the the answer is 3 year's! Or 1.5 year's one way.and that was with fewer ppl trying to kill you between point A and point B and is still a shorter trip than a west coast to east coast trip.

Back
Top Bottom