• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My Prepping Conundrum

No way I'm risking my life going across the country. I love my family, but I have my wife to protect as well. I can't risk getting us both killed for maybe a 10% chance of success.
this! unfortunately in that case, if you have a wife or kids, priority goes to the family and everybody else has to make a decision.

I've been driving for a living for 23 years. I was in Baltimore on 9-11 and what is normally a 2 hour drive from the southside of the city to Lancaster County PA took over 8.
If it is a serious enough scenario that you need to get your family in one place it's going to get ugly fast.
I75 south is a parking lot on Friday afternoons during the summer: it certainly won't be any better if it does hit the fan.
My adult sons are still in PA. I know if they can't or won't leave early ill probably never see them in a worst-case scenario.
And that keeps me up at night.

I have the same problem. My family is all in Ohio (12 hours to Cleveland). Every time I drive up there I evaluate the options/routes. I have concluded it's a NO GO. There is NO GOOD way to get their efficiently. I almost always drive it during XMas and can tell you that traffic clogs up EASY making travel impossible. Also through the mountains, if the main road is closed, you are screwed. Unless you have months, a back pack and are willing to go stealth.

Your ONLY true option will be air. Get a pilots license and a small plane. Then make the trip a few times and plan your stops.

Man, this has me just thinking about meeting my Family in Alabama.

If I can recognize the SHTF scenario and beat it I am probably fine. If I miss it, I feel like I have 1-2 weeks that I can survive (roughly) before I am forced to make some move.

I think the real answer here is that you aren't going to be able to get to your family as a reaction to a SHTF. Your family is going to need to be able to survive for at least two weeks. Then, you can have a chance to see if any of your developed plans are going to work.

why did i click on this?

save the money on all your "preps", and invest in gold or silver. my bug out includes a helicopter. sooooo, you might want to have some gold or silver to trade for drop off.

why did i click on this?

save the money on all your "preps", and invest in gold or silver. my bug out includes a helicopter. sooooo, you might want to have some gold or silver to trade for drop off.

I truly don't understand the gold/silver thing. Maybe for a few weeks if people lose faith in currency or in a short term disaster with a foreseeable end an opportunist with good stockpiles might trade for it to make a quick buck, but it has no usefulness outside of it's perceived value. In a true EOTW situation I wouldn't trade a can of lima beans or a round of ammo for a pound of gold.

I truly don't understand the gold/silver thing. Maybe for a few weeks if people lose faith in currency or in a short term disaster with a foreseeable end an opportunist with good stockpiles might trade for it to make a quick buck, but it has no usefulness outside of it's perceived value. In a true EOTW situation I wouldn't trade a can of lima beans or a round of ammo for a pound of gold.

Quoted for truth.
What's that old Christian rock song that has the line that says "A crust of bread can buy a bag of gold"?

I can not come up with a SHTF scenario where you will be able to communicate with LA, much less get there. Best bet would be flying somehow.

Back
Top Bottom