• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

my reloading situation

The Bandit

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
112   0
Reaction score
ok so i figured i should explain everything in one post rather than spread several posts with several questions. I received an RCBS single stage press ( dont know which) some RCBS 30-30 dies, 44 magnum brass, 30-30 brass, some bullets for each, and some random other accessories for free from my fiances family. I plan to be reloading for 9mm (i know i know but im reloading as a hobby and the cost savings, even as little for 9mm they might be, is just a perk), 30-30, 45auto, eventually maybe 44 mag, and 38/357mag. So far thats the calibers I want to start with. every thing i have is brand spankin new with about 500 once fired brass coming from my dad and other calibers hopefully to soon be pouring in (love having friends who shoot and say they will keep their brass for me). A few questions im coming on now is mainly besides a tumbler, what else would be rcommended? mainly looking to start with the pistol calibers first and one day lead up to the 30-30. Also, I was looking at reloading manuals and is it a must to have the most current one? for example on amazon i think, speer 14th is like $60 whereas the 11th is $15.I really just want to reload target. Also is there a certain clean burning powder that can be used for most of those? Someone recommended power pistol to me and i liked to reviews from it. Finally where do y'all get your bullets? i have no problem finding brass and primers but am not buying a box of 50-100 9mm bullets at bass pro for $20 (last time i looked) because i just want some good target ammo. not really worried about self defense as i have enough to get me by for awhile. i want to start since iv got all this equipment for free and i need a hobby! any advice is appreciated.

For Manuals check out Alibris Books online New and Used decent prices. Get a couple at Least 1 older and 1 newer, also here's a link to a good free program : http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/
I like Unique and Titegroup for my Pistol Powders (.380acp, .45acp, .44 mag& spl, 38/357) I have others, but they both Crossover several Calibers. Be happy to send ya some 9mm, .45acp brass (free) if ya need, shoot me a PM if needed. I sell a bit and swap a bit. Down here I can usually pick up Plated Bullets and others at the Shows for $10-12 per 100 sometimes better. Bulk is even cheaper.

That many calibers will be a definitive PITA on a single stage. Get your feet wet on it but look at moving to a turret pretty quickly so you can have a head set up for each caliber

^^^ What Cooter said. ^^^
The Lee pistol dies with the powder through case mouth expander used in conjuction with the Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure is likely the least expensive, best investment you can make for loading straight wall pistol cartridges. One powder for all those calibers can be done, but you ain't going to get one that will deliver really good performance in them all. I like Hodgdon's Universal for my target loads. It's vitually identicle to Unique, but it meter better, and burns cleaner than Unique. For the magnum revolver, I like W296/H110. It ain't for working up loads though, it's wide open or nothing with it. Accurate #7, or Longshot may be a better choice for high velocity rounds, while still allowing some versatility. I bet "Cooter" has lots of friends, I don't know anybody that don't like "COOTER!"

I recommend that you look at Berry's Bullets for your pistol bullets. They have all sizes and the prices won't break the bank.

As far a a tumbler goes, you might want to look into a Lyman Vibratory "tumbler". I have been using a Lyman for about 30 years. The first one lasted until about 3 years ago when the motor just wore out!

I have been collecting equipment and supplies for a year or so and just started reloading 2 months ago. I have a Dillon 550 as well as a RCBS Rock Chucker with everything else that goes with a single stage press. I started with some 45acp and then 9mm using the Dillon. I broke the plastic tip on the primer tube for the 550 and used the RCBS while waiting for a new part from Dillon. I found that using the RCBS gave me a better feel for what was happening to each stage of the reloading process vs the 550 where if something is not right it is easy to just push through.
If had to do it all over again, I would start with a single stage press and load 45acp until I understood the process better. I think everyone I know has at least one single stage press even of they own a progressive.
Buy a couple of current books and read them front to back several times.
YouTube can be your friend with the assembly and operation of any press and equipment you decide to buy.
There are several forums devoted to reloading that are very helpful.
Last but not least "economy cost". Buy good stuff and don't look back.

Back
Top Bottom