• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My son wants to buy a used Prius. An auction maybe?

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score
the Prius is half electric and a 1.5 liter gas motor. He has cash in hand and is looking for a 06-08 with less than 150k miles.

I have been doing the research and the battery has 28 plates that cost about 40 dollars each. It looks like the battery tends to need replacement at around 225k miles.

The vehicles that he has been looking at either have way too many miles causing us to think it’s going to need batteries soon, or the miles are good and the price jumps up to the point where he would need to get a loan.

I was hoping that someone here either had some insight into either how to access the auto auctions. I have heard some really ugly stories.

Or perhaps somebody has some better information on when Prius’s tend to need expensive parts and maintenance.

On my 2nd Prius! First one lasted over 300,000 miles/10 years before I sold it to another person.

We replaced the main battery around 225,000 and put in a used one (from a wreck I think for around $2,000.

I got my current Prius from Carvana. I looked for one with under 40,000 miles for under $13,000. They may have older oned for less.

Cheapest one I see is $14 k but inventory changes. I've bought 2 cars from Carvana and love it! Less than any dealer, 7 day unconditional return and Enjoy a limited warranty on all mechanical assemblies for 100 days, or for 4,189 miles

https://www.carvana.com/cars?cvnaid...hdGlvbiI6eyJwYWdlIjoxLCJwYWdlU2l6ZSI6MjN9fQ==

If you go to an auction definitely get a Carfax! Many wrecked, totaled, flood cars out there.

There is a car auction place in Fairburn I think.

https://www.adesa.com/Atlanta

This is all good information. I have been working out of state and came back for the weekend. He was looking online at a particular car advertised on one website. I found the dealers site and found the car was sold.

Which brings me back to who to trust in dealing with an auction?

The bad ones are open to the public and tend to sell vehicles at near market prices.

The good ones are closed to the public and have special requirements for entry. The members can bring a guest. But the member is the only one allowed to conduct a transaction. The dealers go there to sell off trade-ins and acquire inventory at a portion of market price.

It’s all a game. I was hoping to get turned on to an ODT insider who can help a brother out. I know it’s going to cost an arm and a leg.

Friend of mine bought a used one with a fried battery for $1200

Good price for a reliable car that still gets 38 mpg on the gas engine

They got a rebuilt battery for $1000 I think

Prius.jpeg

I have instructed my son to get down to our credit union and get preapproved for a loan. The cars he would like are just a little above what he has cash for.

I keep telling him that cash is king when he deals with a private seller. The preapproved for a loan beats everything that a car sales outfit can offer and it gives him the upper hand negotiating.

I have instructed my son to get down to our credit union and get preapproved for a loan. The cars he would like are just a little above what he has cash for.

I keep telling him that cash is king when he deals with a private seller. The preapproved for a loan beats everything that a car sales outfit can offer and it gives him the upper hand negotiating.

I would never advise anyone to borrow money for a vehicle

You can buy a pretty decent car for $1500-2000 if you shop hard

The best car for the money is a 92-97 cougar or thunderbird

You can buy a well maintained one or two owner car for less than $1500

My brother just bought a 97 cougar ,130k Miles , V8 and every available option , leather , power everything , garage kept , all Maint records from new , from the original family , for $1600

This is his third one , and the most expensive , the first one was $850 and lasted for years , second one was $1200 , he’s been driving it for 6 years , it still runs ok , AC blows cold , leaks trans fluid .
He stumbled across the newest one and bought it cause it was so nice and too cheap to pass up

These cars are V8 rear wheel drive , basically a mustang underneath , dirt cheap to buy and cheap and easy to work on
Compared to all the new front wheel drive cars

He drives 600-900 miles a week all over metro Atlanta

I would never advise anyone to borrow money for a vehicle

You can buy a pretty decent car for $1500-2000 if you shop hard

The best car for the money is a 92-97 cougar or thunderbird

You can buy a well maintained one or two owner car for less than $1500

My brother just bought a 97 cougar ,130k Miles , V8 and every available option , leather , power everything , garage kept , all Maint records from new , from the original family , for $1600

This is his third one , and the most expensive , the first one was $850 and lasted for years , second one was $1200 , he’s been driving it for 6 years , it still runs ok , AC blows cold , leaks trans fluid .
He stumbled across the newest one and bought it cause it was so nice and too cheap to pass up

These cars are V8 rear wheel drive , basically a mustang underneath , dirt cheap to buy and cheap and easy to work on
Compared to all the new front wheel drive cars

He drives 600-900 miles a week all over metro Atlanta
I actually bought him a 04 neon with 125k from a fellow ODT member. 27 mpg 500 plus fixing it up. I am driving it because he won’t.

He can buy his own dam car and pay for someone else to keep it on the road. He is 21 and has been in 2 wrecks with vehicles that I own and insure.

He wants to buy a f***ing Prius. Let him get his own loan and his own insurance.

Maybe then he might figure out what I/you/others have tried to tell him. At least he isn’t buying a freaking brand new POS. At least he won’t be wrecking my cars

Back
Top Bottom