• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My son wants to buy a used Prius. An auction maybe?

I can't get in and out of a car that small. Let me know when toyota makes an electric truck.

Chevy made a hybrid Yukon for about two years and quit making it

Seemed like a pretty good vehicle

The battery pack was where the spare used to be and the electric motor was all inside the transmission so no other mods to the drivetrain

Added 5 mpg in city driving

A member here works at the car auction (Bishop Bros?) I can't recall his name. IIRC, he is an auctioneer. If he chimes in, you should get some good advice.

yah they are good cars but everyone knows it so that resell value hurts when your looking to buy. should be able to get a large chunk back of whatever he spends when he sells it though

A Prius is a good car, but not for a school boy... at the price they sell for!
He does deliveries for 2 different restaurants downtown. 14 hour days. 6 days a week.
He doesn’t have any bills and lives in my house.

He had been going to a college and had been paying for it with an educational fund set up by his grandparents when he was born.

When the education money ran out, his sister hooked him up with job #1. The owner of the restaurant next door offered him work and he took job #2. The 2 owners are both happy with the arrangement.

I don’t know what he earns, but his sister has told me that she brings home as much as I make as an aircraft mechanic, just in tips.

He does deliveries for 2 different restaurants downtown. 14 hour days. 6 days a week.
He doesn’t have any bills and lives in my house.

He had been going to a college and had been paying for it with an educational fund set up by his grandparents when he was born.

When the education money ran out, his sister hooked him up with job #1. The owner of the restaurant next door offered him work and he took job #2. The 2 owners are both happy with the arrangement.

I don’t know what he earns, but his sister has told me that she brings home as much as I make as an aircraft mechanic, just in tips.

if he's doing deliveries for even a decent restaurant and its downtown then he is most likely making VERY good money. I worked in a couple good locations when i was in college and 150-200 nights were not uncommon

I don't know if a Prius is the type of car I'd buy from an auction. I personally wouldn't buy one at all but as we all know that's just a preference. I've driven a few different hybrids at my job at the Brunswick port. Can't get used to them. The way they just seem to switch off in a few seconds if you're not moving then restart when you hit the pedal reminds me of a gold cart. But again that's just ME.
If this is just a Toyota thing I will say that the Corolla gets very close to the same mileage without the potential expense of the battery deal. If it's a mileage thing I'd suggest looking at a VW with the TDI engine. They get very good mileage and they have to be more fun to drive than a Prius. Aside from the TDI I would NOT suggest a VW .
But if it has to be a Prius I would suggest searching sites like Cars.com or Auto Trader for a private party deal.

I actually bought him a 04 neon with 125k from a fellow ODT member. 27 mpg 500 plus fixing it up. I am driving it because he won’t.

He can buy his own dam car and pay for someone else to keep it on the road. He is 21 and has been in 2 wrecks with vehicles that I own and insure.

He wants to buy a f***ing Prius. Let him get his own loan and his own insurance.

Maybe then he might figure out what I/you/others have tried to tell him. At least he isn’t buying a freaking brand new POS. At least he won’t be wrecking my cars
If your son needs to do this on his money and credit I would give Carmax a shot. Reason I say that is because you know you aren't getting a lemon or a salvage rebuild from them. Also they have their own in house financing and can do things the other lenders can't or won't. And before everyone bashes me about Carmax yes, I know their cars cost a little more. But in exchange for that you get the benefits mentioned above. Plus you get to avoid all that brain damage back and forth bull**** at regular car lots.We bought my wife's car at Carmax in Lithia Springs in under 3 hours. She couldn't believe it could be that quick and simple.
Also if he tries to finance an older model Prius or anything else at a regular lot it's gonna be a problem.Some lenders won't go back very far in model years. Some will do it but only on the shortest of terms.

Back
Top Bottom