• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My take and grades of the 2011 Atlanta Falcons draft.

The Falcon Fan

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]:
6. WR Julio Jones, Alabama

The Falcons needed a playmaker on the offense and they made the move they needed to get their guy. Yes they gave up a lot, but now the Falcons offense is at an elite level. Teams can't simply slide one safety over to Roddy and drop the other in the box to stop Turner. Julio Jones is a perfect fit, plus this will push Roddy to stay on top.

BUT if Jones flop this can really hurt the Falcons.

Grade:B

[Broken External Image]:
89. LB Akeem Dent, UGA

I'm not crazy about this pick. Dent is a MLB who is only a two down guy. I think the Falcons drafted him to replace Mike Peterson but I'm not sure Dent can cover like Peterson. The Falcons are reporting that someone wanted to trade up for this pick to take Dent but they wanted him more than the trade back. So I guess the want was out there, still he is a special teamer for the next few seasons.

Grade: C

[Broken External Image]:
145. RB Quizz Rodgers, Oregon State

My favorite pick of our draft. Quizz is perfect for our offense. If we lose Jason Snelling, we can use Quizz as our 3rd down guy who can move the chains. I cannot stress enough how important that is to their offense. Time after time our runningback on 3rd will chip someone and then go out for a pass. This will be Quizz's best spot. I cannot WAIT to see this tiny titan in a Falcons jersey. Especially because the defense will get soft seeing Turner replaced by this diminutive demon.

Grade: A

[Broken External Image]:
192. P/K Matt Bosher, Miami

I'm still scratching my head here. What is this guy going to do? Matt Bryant was great last year and we have Koenan who is a solid punter(though a UFA). I'll have to see how this pans out, but I'm not sure where this came from unless they think Koenan will want to much and Bryant is old.

[Broken External Image]:
209. T/G Andrew Jackson, Fresno State

I love this pick. Jackson could've went in the late 3rd and no one would balked at the pick. Jackson could play RT or move inside to Guard. This is the classic Falcons o-line player who can play multiple positions. Solid depth that may start someday.

[Broken External Image]:
230. DE Cliff Matthews, South Carolina

Another pick that I love. I had no idea this guy was still available when the Falcons picked him. He is a solid DE who again, could be picked in a much earlier round without shock. He is a high-motor, high-character guy who can add more to his frame. He can push or subplant Sidbury who has yet to have panned out. Great Great pick.

Overall this draft was a wild one for the Falcons. Of course it's success will completely depend on Julio Jones. Though I think they did do a good job getting value when it was available. My biggest gripe with this draft is Akeem Dent, they really needed to go with more value there. Don't get me wrong I love Dent, but I think they reached. If the Falcons go out and grab Ray Edwards in free agency as widely reported this draft grade gets bumped a letter.

Overall Grade:B

What do you mean IF? They play often. Home, Away, 2 year break then on again. And how soon you forget that the crazy 31 point lead we give them in the first half, was nearly covered in the second, and the year before, poor bama lost. Its not as if they have a stellar record against georgia lately. And how did college talk get on this Falcon thread. Back to you The Falcon Fan. I give the overall draft a B. Julio could be an A, his production will have to pick up some from college though. Great play one down, then lazy the next. Has all the ability in the world, he can be as good as he wants to be. Got their Scat back extraordinaire with Quizz, nice late round OL pickup, and dent is another question mark, can be as good as he wants to be, needs to put in some time to be an every down player. Could eventually be a solid starter, but not the superstar I would like.

I'm thinking anything less than at least a playoff win, maybe 2 will be a bad season for all expectations of our coaching staff and GM. They must have some faith to put so much into one puzzle piece. Lets hope its the missing piece.

[URL=http://img805.imageshack.us/i/mattbosher.jpg/ said:
[Broken External Image]:[/URL]
192. P/K Matt Bosher, Miami

I'm still scratching my head here. What is this guy going to do? Matt Bryant was great last year and we have Koenan who is a solid punter(though a UFA). I'll have to see how this pans out, but I'm not sure where this came from unless they think Koenan will want to much and Bryant is old.

They drafted him because he came from the greatest school in the history of NCAA Football....btw I agree on Julio!! Great Pick ...

the falcons did good they got a couple good picks , dent and matthews were pretty good picks and jones wasn't all they thought he would be at bama or i didn't think it anyway i don't know how he will do

Back
Top Bottom