• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My weekend started off bad

I think you just taught a lot of us in here in "How To..!" lol :becky::becky::becky:

If you know how it is done, you also know what to look for and how to defend against it.

Is it really worth it to anyone here to make 20 grand in exchange for a 20 year felony conviction?

If you know how it is done, you also know what to look for and how to defend against it.

Is it really worth it to anyone here to make 20 grand in exchange for a 20 year felony conviction?
Absolutely... and when I meant "How to...!" that includes how to check and not to get into a dead 20k deal...
You're The Man Sir!!!

And following that same theme. If you think "tickling the clock" is a thing of the past, think again. Odometer readings are not absolute.

The stickers and Hull ID tag were fakes. They were done professionally and looked exactly like factory. I guess Georgia does not check to see if they are valid numbers prior to registering.

Really no way for the state to do this, there is no central registry of HIN.

The manufacturer assigns the HIN and as long as the counterfeit placard follow the format used by the manufacturer, it would be virtually impossible for the casual purchaser to determine that it is fake.

The way that this boat was determined to be stolen is that Fed. law requires the HIN to be put in two places, the placard which is usually on the transom, and a "hidden" number in a location only known to law enforcement and the manufacturer. Same for automobiles.

Really no way for the state to do this, there is no central registry of HIN.

The manufacturer assigns the HIN and as long as the counterfeit placard follow the format used by the manufacturer, it would be virtually impossible for the casual purchaser to determine that it is fake.

The way that this boat was determined to be stolen is that Fed. law requires the HIN to be put in two places, the placard which is usually on the transom, and a "hidden" number in a location only known to law enforcement and the manufacturer. Same for automobiles.

I have recently noticed some new guns have a hidden serial number now. Un seen unless frame is stripped.

Update. Had to speak to the Forsyth County SO detective's supervisor to get any answer out of him. Finally got the insurance company who paid the settlement to the original boat owner. They were angry that the Forsyth count SO did not contact them that the boat had been located. They were happy that I let them know where the boat was located. I am trying to buy it back from the insurance company before they send it to auction. (most stolen boats are sent off to auction after they are recovered. (Either IIA or Copart). Hats off to the LaGrange police officer who dealt with the boat down there. Today I went to the Fayetteville police to see if they would do an investigation as that was where I purchased the boat last year. Found out I had to go to the Sheriff dept. They were no help. Told me the Forsyth county SO had to do the investigation. They did tell me to go to Fayette Magistrate court. Went there and was told 2 options. Pay $20 to have the guy summonded for selling stolen property (all he has to do is say I did not know it was stolen) or pay $103 to get him to come to court with the same end result. The justice system is so screwed up. If you end up buying a stolen item, you are screwed. The laws are against you to be made whole again.

I went through this with a tractor posted here on the ODT. Went to look and wanted to buy. Told the guy we'd need to get on the phone with KUBOTA and check out the SN#'s and he got mad and told me to go away. I happily left.

Not at all surprised there my friend......!!!

Yikes. but be careful when you say something negative about any scumbag ODT member on here, easy way to get the higher up's removing your post OR even banning you. Ask me how i know.

But agreed, I haven't dealt w/thieves (that I know of), but have had my fair share of shady lately.

$5000 four wheeler has a coded key. Some have to be cut other programmed. $500000 John Deere tractor can all be cranked with one of three keys. Over never understood

Very true, HOWEVER, many of the heavy equipment machines have GPS on them (like Lo-Jack) and it triggers a notification the moment the machine is even moved/cranked.

===========================================================
So for purchasing boats in GA.

What I like to do is ask the seller for the little GA registration card. They should be able to produce it IN THEIR NAME. If they can't, good time to walk away. Heck, i've went to purchase some old classic muscle cars before (they don't need title pre-1986 years). So one must see a copy of the GA registration with their name/address on it. Had one guy say he had it so I made the 1 hour plus drive to N GA. AFter a test drive and negotiation, I asked for the registration card, nope he didn't have it. Apparently it was "his friend's car" and the guy was in jail. I left, quick and pissed off.

buyer beware..........!

Another thing you can do is get a BILL OF SALE and include the sellers driver's license # and their address, make sure to ask to see the driver's license and such. If seller refuses, probably good idea to walk.

I got the registration from him and a bill of sale. The boat was registered 2 times after it was stolen, then a third time by me. GA DNR does not check for fake hull ID numbers. The thief knew what he was doing. The 2 stickers and the hull ID tag looked just exactly like what Tracker Marine puts on the boats. To register the boat, I sent in a bill of sale with the hull ID number and the required fee to GA DNR. Got my registration and stickers about 10 days later.

Not at all surprised there my friend......!!!

Yikes. but be careful when you say something negative about any scumbag ODT member on here, easy way to get the higher up's removing your post OR even banning you. Ask me how i know.

But agreed, I haven't dealt w/thieves (that I know of), but have had my fair share of shady lately.

Very true, HOWEVER, many of the heavy equipment machines have GPS on them (like Lo-Jack) and it triggers a notification the moment the machine is even moved/cranked.

===========================================================
So for purchasing boats in GA.

What I like to do is ask the seller for the little GA registration card. They should be able to produce it IN THEIR NAME. If they can't, good time to walk away. Heck, i've went to purchase some old classic muscle cars before (they don't need title pre-1986 years). So one must see a copy of the GA registration with their name/address on it. Had one guy say he had it so I made the 1 hour plus drive to N GA. AFter a test drive and negotiation, I asked for the registration card, nope he didn't have it. Apparently it was "his friend's car" and the guy was in jail. I left, quick and pissed off.

buyer beware..........!

Another thing you can do is get a BILL OF SALE and include the sellers driver's license # and their address, make sure to ask to see the driver's license and such. If seller refuses, probably good idea to walk.

Folks need to be more aware of the potential problems in these type situations.

Was involved in a matter where John Doe, working man, bought a John Deere tractor from Richy Rich, banker. John paid cash.

John had some work by John Deere dealer, and somehow the serial number got to John Deere, finance, who had financed the tractor for Richy. John Deere had filed the necessary paperwork in Richy's home county, but that wasn't the county where the tractor was and where it was sold. At that time there was no statewide registry of liens on personal property other than automobiles.

Next thing you know, JD Finance is filing a repossession action against John, AND asking for money damages for diminution in value. Turns out there's not a damn thing John could do so he cut bait and turned over the tractor. Then he went after Banker Richy who turns out had been involved in all sorts of shady deals, and Richy promptly files bankruptcy.

John is out about $25K. Being a working man, it was a hard loss to absorb.

Now there is a statewide registry of financing liens, but I wonder how many people check it. I know about it, and I don't check it all the time in my personal dealings.

I got the registration from him and a bill of sale. The boat was registered 2 times after it was stolen, then a third time by me. GA DNR does not check for fake hull ID numbers. The thief knew what he was doing. The 2 stickers and the hull ID tag looked just exactly like what Tracker Marine puts on the boats. To register the boat, I sent in a bill of sale with the hull ID number and the required fee to GA DNR. Got my registration and stickers about 10 days later.

Oh wow! I didn't get that part. Dang!!! So this thief was very creative.
I bought a nice boat where I traveled to southern AL to get it. The man was older and worked for Alabama power co, so I just took his word for the boat being paid off. But this is 100% something to consider in any future dealings with purchases "used" ticket items.

Kinda makes you always want to buy NEW, spend more $$$$, get a warranty, and never worry about "stolen" or "liens".

Folks need to be more aware of the potential problems in these type situations.

Was involved in a matter where John Doe, working man, bought a John Deere tractor from Richy Rich, banker. John paid cash.

John had some work by John Deere dealer, and somehow the serial number got to John Deere, finance, who had financed the tractor for Richy. John Deere had filed the necessary paperwork in Richy's home county, but that wasn't the county where the tractor was and where it was sold. At that time there was no statewide registry of liens on personal property other than automobiles.

Next thing you know, JD Finance is filing a repossession action against John, AND asking for money damages for diminution in value. Turns out there's not a damn thing John could do so he cut bait and turned over the tractor. Then he went after Banker Richy who turns out had been involved in all sorts of shady deals, and Richy promptly files bankruptcy.

John is out about $25K. Being a working man, it was a hard loss to absorb.

Now there is a statewide registry of financing liens, but I wonder how many people check it. I know about it, and I don't check it all the time in my personal dealings.

I've said this 10x's before when folks are selling these expensive side by sides. I always ask for either the MSO or their release of lien paperwork from the bank. No joke, out of a half dozen times i've asked, i've only had ONE person could produce it. All others made some lame excuses why they didn't have it. Well I bought it from a buddy that needed money....or "it's paid for". Ended up buying a Honda Pioneer side by side from the only guy that produced paperwork. No way I want to be stuck paying a lot of cash for something only to have it repo'd b/c the previous owner(s) were shady.

Buyer beware...................

Haven't looked at buying a late model tractor "yet", but that's a wonderful idea to check to see if a lien is on the machine. Heavy equipment (like skids and excavators) is also something where they can easily be stolen and or have liens.

Back
Top Bottom