• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My wife digs our first CSA relic!!!

I've got an at pro that I used all the time before I had three kids. Got a ton of silver from old home sites but no civil war goods. Buddy I hunt with dug one of the rare csa buckles up in Jefferson and cashed out on eBay about 3 weeks later for a couple grand.

Whereabouts in the state are you? I need digging friends in my area.

I've been trying to figure out how to find old maps. Like to overlay and old map on a current Google Earth image. Pm me if you get a chance.
How do you find out what was at a location say 100 years ago? I've got a few places I want to explore with the kids.

I've been trying to figure out how to find old maps. Like to overlay and old map on a current Google Earth image. Pm me if you get a chance.
How do you find out what was at a location say 100 years ago? I've got a few places I want to explore with the kids.

There are some old maps on the net and aerial photos go back some time depending on the area. I'll look around and see if I can dig the links. Some of it is done by boots on the ground and digging to date the site based on the finds. Nobody likes iron when digging but you can date old homesites by seeing what kind of nails and iron trash you find.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Great finds and I can tell you enjoy the hunt. I've had a metal detector most of my life. The fisrt one was from radio shack at a cost of $45 or so in 1972. Friends used to laugh at me until I found a 1917 silver half dollar with S mint Mark on obverse side. It is very worn and I turned down $5000 for it ten or so years ago. Had it been a grade higher and not had burn marks it was worth $90000. It resides in my safe deposit box. My sweet Mom got me into this. Did you know old homes use to use magazines for insulation? The magazines were usually like new and I've made hundreds selling those. We always obtained permission from land owner and replace all boards after removing the magazines. I've hunted in some great battle fields in north west Georgis but these spots were tuff to find stuff as they had been surveyed by all these college student etc. You have to use your head and guess the attack routes when hunting fortified ridge lines and rattlesnakes love those stacked stones so you must be careful. The pic below is the first bullet I found along with some arrow heads all on my grandmothers farm. I still hunt it today with permission from one of the nicest guys I know. He bought the farm in 1985 after my grandmother passed and told all the grand children they are welcome anytime. Need to get up there soon as I found cannon shot in creek bed on my last visit.

I've got an at pro that I used all the time before I had three kids. Got a ton of silver from old home sites but no civil war goods. Buddy I hunt with dug one of the rare csa buckles up in Jefferson and cashed out on eBay about 3 weeks later for a couple grand.

Whereabouts in the state are you? I need digging friends in my area.

I'm down the road from you in Braselton some days. Just dug my first silver (plated) spoon in an old park up there last weekend. I do a good bit of reasearch up that way and have a few spots marked for hunting.

Message me if you wanted to get in an afternoon/evening hunt one day since the times changing.

Back
Top Bottom