• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mystery Sound in the Woods

Blue herons make some god awful squawks too

They put up a pretty good fight on rod and reel, too. :D

Many years ago, my wife and I had one take a shad we had just cast while Striper fishing. It was just like flying a kite, only stronger! Fortunately, the barb never penetrated completely, and the hook fell out of it's beak. We were laughing our arses off.

So what did the dumb Heron do next? Flew right back and tried to grab the next shad we cast. :(

Many years ago, my wife and I had one take a shad we had just cast while Striper fishing. It was just like flying a kite, only stronger! Fortunately, the barb never penetrated completely, and the hook fell out of it's beak. We were laughing our arses off.

So what did the dumb Heron do next? Flew right back and tried to grab the next shad we cast. :(
I did this with a pelican once. Ended up cutting the line.

We were fishing at my sister's condo down at the bar beach and the shallow fish were hitting pretty good so I brought a couple in and threw him back and I heard something stepping up behind me. I turned around and there was a crane there that was taller than I was looking me dead in the eyes. I'm looking down like what the heck's going on and their little girl from the road yells he wants you to feed him. So I gave him the next three or four fish I caught he took off. His belly was so full he can barely get off of water. He would stab the fish with his beak first then walk over and wash them off in the water and then she'll get straight down. Damnedest thing I've ever seen while I was fishing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom