• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Name this snake.

Definitely a Copperhead, identified by the shape of its head. If you look closely, you can see how it's been smashed flat, by repeated blows from a stick.

Copperhead babies are born alive and will be about 6 or 7 inches long. This one being about 2 feet long, I wouldn't worry about there being any siblings around.
I killed one that was a little over three feet long many years ago, which is big for a copperhead.

This little guy tried to bite me and my dogs last night. He was warming himself on my front stoop. By the time I saw him, he was in fight mode and just wouldn't shoo. I finally had to dispatch him with a stick. View attachment 1267999

My uncle went out on his front stoop to get his paper and got bit by one of these. The hospital bill was 28K and that was 15 years ago. Copperheads must like front stoops.

My uncle went out on his front stoop to get his paper and got bit by one of these. The hospital bill was 28K and that was 15 years ago. Copperheads must like front stoops.

With these cool nights the snakes are enjoying the heat of the day that has been retained in the concrete/brick.
Rarely ever find a snake on wooden steps.

Ironic, just yesterday evening there were kids were in the hood playing and riding their bikes and scooters up and down the sidewalk in front of my house. One starts hollering so I go out to investigate. Sure enough a copper head was sprawled across my grass with its head hanging over the sidewalk. One of the boys about ran over it and stopped short, good thing he did.

IMG_6027.JPG IMG_6028.JPG
They really loose their heads over a bush ax.

Back
Top Bottom