• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NASCAR

I believe it was purchased by IMSA a few years ago - as part of their consolidation of road racing. It has always been a great track, even back in the 1980s. Panoz made a lot of upgrades, so it is even better now.

Sure do miss these Panoz cars...... :dispirited::dispirited::blue::blue: Loved the Ford V8 sound going around those hills!

iu
Supposedly, that started out as a Dodge prototype racecar (inspired by the Viper). When Dodge dropped their plans, Panoz took it over.

You can still buy Panoz road cars. Made by his son. In Georgia. And expensive.
60PAGEB1.jpg

Supposedly, that started out as a Dodge prototype racecar (inspired by the Viper). When Dodge dropped their plans, Panoz took it over. You can still buy Panoz road cars. Made by his son. In Georgia. And expensive.

Hmm....well I never heard that before. All I have read and heard stated it was a Panoz idea and they approached Reynard for help. Don Panoz and Danny (his son) wanted to go racing as a way to give their street cars credibility. They were adamant that it have the same layout as their street cars, so that's why it was a front engined race car. I toured their factory and talked to the staff, maybe 15 years ago with a Ford car club. They were very nice people to us.

Hmm....well I never heard that before. All I have read and heard stated it was a Panoz idea and they approached Reynard for help. Don Panoz and Danny (his son) wanted to go racing as a way to give their street cars credibility. They were adamant that it have the same layout as their street cars, so that's why it was a front engined race car. I toured their factory and talked to the staff, maybe 15 years ago with a Ford car club. They were very nice people to us.

I remember when they built these in the early 90's in a little garage in Braselton. Aluminum bodies and Ford power plants and drivetrains. They ran Supertrapp exhausts (best I can remember) and were LOUD!

45055671-770-0@2x.jpg

Oh , heck ! My Aunt and Uncle used to drag me every Tuesday night to Ft Homer Hesterly Armory in Tampa ! Late ‘60’s. Championship Wrestling from Fla ! In the early ‘70’s built Gordon Solie a log house on a lake in Odessa. Really nice laid back guy .
I remember many Tuesday nights at the Armory in Tampa. Also many Saturday afternoons at the movie theater in downtown, got in with 6 RC Cola bottle caps. Then there were the Saturday nights at the quarter mile track out in the boonies of Fletcher Ave.
Don't recognize any of it now.
MHG

I remember many Tuesday nights at the Armory in Tampa. Also many Saturday afternoons at the movie theater in downtown, got in with 6 RC Cola bottle caps. Then there were the Saturday nights at the quarter mile track out in the boonies of Fletcher Ave.
Don't recognize any of it now.
MHG
Gosh I loved that track ! Sunshine Speedway was pretty cool to ! Guy I worked for ran there every weekend. I’ve not been in that area for 30 years. Used to get Porsche parts from the Kempton brothers on Florida Ave .

Back
Top Bottom