• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nasty surprise the other morning

whitelightnin22

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Hard Workin’ Honky
139   0
Reaction score
6460995E-4133-4D22-B54A-67A874B8A7F8.jpeg
Was preparing to head off to the job site the other morning when I noticed a small wasp nest up in the rafters off our shop. I took a can of ether and sprayed it. It only had about 3 on it and it was still dark in the morning so no fear of them seeing me. Well the new guy said he noticed a nest on our compactor that had been sitting for a while. Well this wasn’t no little nest by a long shot. There were easily 100 of them on this one. Me and my father took 2 full cans of ether and went to work on it. Id say we killed 90% of them but some still got away. We knocked the nest down and burned it up to make sure no new ones hatched out. The picture does no justice. There is more nest up in the metal than I felt comfortable trying to take a picture of. I couldn’t help thinking about the poor soul who wouldn’t tried to crank the compactor to move it without knowing the nest was back there!!!!!

View attachment 2763886 Was preparing to head off to the job site the other morning when I noticed a small wasp nest up in the rafters off our shop. I took a can of ether and sprayed it. It only had about 3 on it and it was still dark in the morning so no fear of them seeing me. Well the new guy said he noticed a nest on our compactor that had been sitting for a while. Well this wasn’t no little nest by a long shot. There were easily 100 of them on this one. Me and my father took 2 full cans of ether and went to work on it. Id say we killed 90% of them but some still got away. We knocked the nest down and burned it up to make sure no new ones hatched out. The picture does no justice. There is more nest up in the metal than I felt comfortable trying to take a picture of. I couldn’t help thinking about the poor soul who wouldn’t tried to crank the compactor to move it without knowing the nest was back there!!!!!
I hear that...my father in law had one in the roof of the treehouse/play set in his backyard that the grandkids play on. It was the size of a football. I didn’t even know paper wasps made nests that big

A98A7B7F-245A-4E6B-8A13-8C5A5F2E1FE5.jpeg
I hear that...my father in law had one in the roof of the treehouse/play set in his backyard that the grandkids play on. It was the size of a football. I didn’t even know paper wasps made nests that big
The biggest one I ever seen in my life was as big or bigger than a football. It was hanging off a small branch on a stump out in a swamp I uses to beaver hunt and trap in. I never knew what it was until curiosity got the best of me one day. I paddled over close enough to see it was a huge wasp nest. No nest was visible on it just packed wasps. Picture is cruddy because of the old phone I took it from. Once I got back to shore I sighted in on it with my 22-250 and started target shooting.

View attachment 2764494
The biggest one I ever seen in my life was as big or bigger than a football. It was hanging off a small branch on a stump out in a swamp I uses to beaver hunt and trap in. I never knew what it was until curiosity got the best of me one day. I paddled over close enough to see it was a huge wasp nest. No nest was visible on it just packed wasps. Picture is cruddy because of the old phone I took it from. Once I got back to shore I sighted in on it with my 22-250 and started target shooting.

this is just like the giant ones i find on our lake. its just like this, small tip of a tree sticking out of hte middle of the water and they just cover the one branch thats exposed. i shoot it down every year but they keep rebuilding.

Back
Top Bottom