• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

National Championship

I love the thought of Saban throwing a first-rate screaming hissy fit as soon as he got out of view of the cameras!

If his helicopter flies over enroute to another cheesy recruiting session, those drips you are feeling won't rain-they are Sabin tears!

While those both could have been called, neither had any impact on the game. Those picks were ridiculous. But perhaps that's legal in the PAC12, I don't know.

Well, in fairness, the clothesline was called but was ridiculous. I'm not sure why the targeting wasn't called.

Interesting article. The game-winning pick looked ok to me. The other one they show in this article clearly wasn't. In that one, the receiver begins blocking on the snap:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-it-was-a-legal-play/?utm_term=.62a1113bc1d9

Well, in fairness, the clothesline was called but was ridiculous. I'm not sure why the targeting wasn't called.

Interesting article. The game-winning pick looked ok to me. The other one they show in this article clearly wasn't. In that one, the receiver begins blocking on the snap:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-it-was-a-legal-play/?utm_term=.62a1113bc1d9
He was not 'defenseless' as the rule defines and there was no crown of the helmet contact.
I agree the second pick was less egregious but that's what happens when you don't call the first obvious one. I guarantee you their OC said "Well if they didn't call THAT one, there is no way they can call it the second time." And he was right.

He was not 'defenseless' as the rule defines and there was no crown of the helmet contact.
I agree the second pick was less egregious but that's what happens when you don't call the first obvious one. I guarantee you their OC said "Well if they didn't call THAT one, there is no way they can call it the second time." And he was right.

Yeah, I'm torn on that. You hate for officials to decide a game on a call that could go either way. As far as "defenseless", they might need to look at that rule again. The guy had just started to turn his head upfield, and had made no move up the field. I've seen lots of calls where guys were deemed defenseless with a clear view of the defender coming at them. The rule is obviously not enforced consistently.

Yeah, I'm torn on that. You hate for officials to decide a game on a call that could go either way. As far as "defenseless", they might need to look at that rule again. The guy had just started to turn his head upfield, and had made no move up the field. I've seen lots of calls where guys were deemed defenseless with a clear view of the defender coming at them. The rule is obviously not enforced consistently.
It's a rule fraught with problems but as it is currently stated, it was a clean no call. Some of the no calls on the constant pass interferences on the other hand were weird.
Oh well... only 9 months until kickoff. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom