• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Natural Gas Flow during extended Power Outage

bbooker

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
106   0
Reaction score
Any educated guesses on how long natural gas would continue to flow during an extended power outage? If the grid went down for several weeks would the lines continue to be pressurized?

Probably a couple of days, depending on how long it takes the pipes to lose pressure and cut off. They will be dependant on how much use those lines get. In heating season they will draw down a lot faster than in August. If you want long term a propane tank is the way to go.

yep
propane back up or a hose adapter..
that way with all the canned beans and bacon you are eating, you can just fart in the stove hose:becky:

My guess is the power generators on the system are natural gas powered so if i have to guess pretty much indefinitely until those start failing...

Not sure. My generator runs on propane. I know it's dependent on resupply for my 250 gallon tank, but at least I know that I have fuel on hand for about a week if the power goes out.

The pipeline system is mostly mechanical from the City Gate on. Control and monitoring is electrical if there's power, but if not there are mechanical safeties that will kick in and at the end of the day the system can be controlled by putting guys with wrenches in the right places.

During a widespread outage you won't have 'new' gas being injected in the local pipeline system, but what's in there will work fine until the pressure drops below safe levels and the regulator valves close off.

Sort of off topic, but there used to be expandable natural gas tanks in Atlanta. Interesting to watch them go up and down.

I don't know if they still have those online anywhere, but they probably could keep the pressure up a long time.

Back
Top Bottom