• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NC wants my revolver - stolen in 1982

OP, I'm glad "I Pawn" reimbursed you for the money you spent on the revolver.
It is entirely possible that they were not negligent in selling you that gun. They probably had no clue that it was stolen, and I don't think pawnshops in Georgia are obligated to run serial numbers through a database, although I think they have to cooperate with law-enforcement and let detectives look through their inventory for stolen property once in a while, at least as a condition of keeping their county pawn license.

When I was with the District Attorneys office, we prosecuted a convicted felon for possessing a handgun which was stolen some 30 years before from New Jersey. It was a Smith and Wesson 44 magnum if I recall, and it was worth some money. We did not charge him with possession of stolen goods because we didn't think that he would've known it was stolen. He could've been the 10th owner of it since it was stolen all those years ago . We just charged with being a felon and knowingly possessing any kind of gun.

but, the interesting thing about that case, is that we were unable to track down the original owner from the 1980s and neither could the property crimes detectives from that City or Township New Jersey where the theft happened and where their cops made the police report. That agency did not want the gun back if they had no reasonable likelihood of forwarding it to the correct owner, so last I heard that gun was still sitting in the evidence room of the law enforcement agency in south Georgia.

I bought a 10 mm LaserMax pistol a few years ago from a pawn shop in Dublin. It came back about 3 weeks later that it was stolen in 1994 in Ocala Fla. I got a call from Kennesaw Police Dept. I took it down and they verified it. Florida law stated that since I purchased it legally that it was the original owner’s responsibility to file Right to Ownership paperwork to retrieve it. I called the pawn shop told them what was up and they had me bring them the pistol and they reimbursed me. Obviously different state laws

There is a high probability that the original owner is no longer alive. There is even a better probability that the law enforcement agency that the theft was reported to no longer has the original incident report and has no clue who reported it stolen. Many agencies purge reports after about 10 years. Not all, but many do. When the law enforcement agency that entered the serial number on NCIC realizes they can't locate the victim, or their original case number, they will notify the agency in Georgia that they do not want it. Different states and different agencies each handle things a little differently. Obviously, if the gun can be returned to the original owner, it should be. However, you are now technically a victim because you were sold a stolen firearm. I would stay in contact with the property and evidence custodian of the agency that came out and picked up the firearm from you. I would send them a letter, demanding proof that the firearm is stolen, or proof that they returned it to the original reporting agency. You should ask that if there is no proof the gun is stolen and has been unclaimed, that it be returned to you, the lawful owner. Be respectful and have a good demeanor with your requests and you just might eventually get the gun back if they cannot prove that it is in fact stolen. Otherwise, it is very likely the gun will go unclaimed in their property and evidence room and ultimately be destroyed.

Back
Top Bottom