• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NC wants my revolver - stolen in 1982

I would have reservations based on the supposed model number.
How many Smith revolvers have sn xxxx?
Good to hear that they refunded your money.

Also, if the victim's loss from this theft was covered by insurance, and the insurance company paid the fair market value of the gun all those years ago, then the insurance company is entitled to the gun.

If you were allowed to keep it at all, you might have to pay the insurance company back for what they spent on that claim.

I got a call from a guy named Hans that claims that I have his K98. Said an American took it from him in 1944. What should I do?

All joking aside, glad you got your money back. Just get a police trade in Glock from Eds for $340, and have a good carry piece. Glad the shop made it right.

That should fall back on pawn shop they are supposed run check on any guns they get on pawn or buy
No they don’t.
They report all guns to local LE.
LE checks NCIC/GCIC if they get a hit then it is followed up on. Some departments are better than others on how quickly they do their checks.

I am madder than HELL

Got a call from a detective in NC saying the s&w 10-6 pistol I recently purchased from a Pawn shop in Winder GA was stolen in NC back in 1982. I was then threatened with being criminally charged if I didn't turn the pistol over to the Winder Police Department.

Then the detective in Winder called me shortly after that to ask me to turn in the weapon. Waiting on an officer to come get it now.

This gun was stolen 3 years before I was born apparently they can find it, yet the Barrow County sheriff's department can't find my pickup truck that was stolen back in April???

Not to mention I am now out of my every day carry piece, and a couple hundred dollars......

WTF....

The Best part...according to the detective in, if they cannot locate the original owner in NC, then the firearm will rot for several years in an evidence locker until it is sold at auction, and there is nothing I can do about it.

Ugh. I really liked that old wheel gun. It dhot absolutely lights out. Plus I got a great deal on it at iPawn in Winder. Out the door for $225. I know I ain't gonna find another one in that good shape at that price again.

I can promise you this... iPawn has lost my business.
i would ask for the owner number, he will never see it!

No they don’t.
They report all guns to local LE.
LE checks NCIC/GCIC if they get a hit then it is followed up on. Some departments are better than others on how quickly they do their checks.

The Eatonton P D gives me a call once a year verifying that my stolen pistol hasn't been recovered.

Did they explain how this happened? How do they verify anything coming in their shop isn't stolen?

They can't. It's a business risk they take. That's why they are allowed to charge a 100% APR.

Also, why locally, there is an ordinance that they have to hold jewelry for 30 days. The ones I know are honest enough to tell you that with the ordinance it would be melted down before the customer got out of the parking lot, or dropped in a Fed Ex box going to a smelter.

Jewelry is especially tough for the owners - without indentifying marks, one gold chain pretty much looks like 10,000 others.

Also, the decent pawn brokers bend over backwards to not buy stolen stuff, because in most cases if it's claimed it represents a 100% loss to them. Not to say there aren't some who deal out the back door, but it's a business where they can make so much money on the up and up, they try not to screw it up.

Back
Top Bottom