• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Neck runout

JWH2

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
6   0
Reaction score
Well I bought a new RCBS runout gauge, started case prep on some once fired 30-06 brass, tummbled brass, deprimed and full length resized using a brand new Lee die set, WOW these cases are way out of spec ..010-.014 runout on case neck. went back and checked some 300winmag cases that were already preped all are fine, these were resized with my RCBS die set. What Yall think bad Lee die set or what? thanks Joe:confused:

Anything's possible, but the brass is where I would look first. Non uniform neck thickness is the most common cause. I know you said that they are new dies, so be sure your die is clean, assembled and adjusted properly. Also make sure the brass isn't way out of spec in other aspects as well. Lee, contrary to a lot of very opinionated people are usually on the tight side of tolerances. It's possible they may be bad, but I would try a different batch of brass first.

This was actually 3 different head stamps, Remington, Hornady, and Winchester. The Remington was the best, Winchester 2nd, Hornady was the worst. I pulled out some factory loads in Federal Premium, and Hornady. Federal .001-.002, Hornady .003-.014. Starting to see a pattern there.

Back
Top Bottom