• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a gunsmith for Springfield 1903a3

avmtdan

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Searching for John Galt
123   0
Reaction score
So years ago I bought this rifle (15+), and it shot slightly to the right. I had it worked on by a reputable smith, and he either misunderstood what I was saying, or went the wrong way with tightening/loosening the barrel to make the alignment mark work. What you see is the barrel/receiver alignment marks, as you can see, they are off by a bit ( again, may have told the gunsmith the wrong way initially).

What I am looking for is a gunsmith experience with 1903a3 Springfields who has the correct receiver and barrel wrenches to make the alignment marks line up without mangling the receiver and the barrel to get the front sight back where it needs to be. It shoots god awful right now, and I need to use all of the windage I have to get it back into the black, and had to use additional kentucky windage to guestimate the rest. Either that, or I need to borrow a set of wrenches/blocks so I can do it. Any help would be appreciated.

20171118_175953[1].jpg

It was a little off before, I think he just went the wrong direction based on what I was telling him. Extremely reputable guy, if he was still around, I would take it to him again. If was off by 1/16th of an inch before. I havent had this gun apart in years, and hadnt fired it in years. You know of anyone closer than anniston?

If I am seeing this correct this would be loosening the barrel up and could make it unsafe to fire.
Even turning that much can make it really unsafe and change the headspace.
I do not have the wrenches for that Barrel receiver combo but if I did I would do it and then check headspace.
If a competent gunsmith did the work I would have to say he does not know Milsurp's that well to have the timing mark that far off or he did not have the proper Barrel alignment levels (the tools level the sights front and rear to each other, also not all Milsurps used this technique).
He could have misunderstood what the OP said and moved it to far or even removed the barrel and cut down the Barrel Shelf to get it to time the way he did.
There is know way to know until the barrel is removed and then retimed, with the proper LEVELING tools (could change the timing marks all together).
This is just an observation of mine YMMV.

I watched him tighten it and check head space. He was an armored during wwii. It was off by half that much before, but yes, I needsomeone to loosen and check head space.

Back
Top Bottom