• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a new engine in a 2006 Dodge Hemi

I don't know why people don't learn how to do things. I have always serviced my own vehicles in my spare time. I have bought 3 vehicles with engine problems, 2 of which were locked down from running out of oil. You might only need a new crankshaft and rods if yours can't be repaired in a machine shop. Even a bent crankshaft can be repaired by turning all the journals and elongated rods can have the caps shaved and then re-bored.

Machine shop time cost more then a re-man engine or close enough to it it's not worth the hassel. Plus a reputable re-man engine will come with a 3,30 or 5,50 warranty. Thats why shops dont rebuild any more that and labor time to rebuild vs replace covers most the cost of the engine. And if I rebuild it and something goes wrong I get to fix it for free if something goes wrong with a re-man that company pays labor for me to R&R it or depending on where you buy the re-man it would get sent to the dealer and they cover it.

Op just gunk the truck used engine =1200 bucks labor =1000 bucks plus another 600 bucks for things that go wrong or bad parts found on the engine or justvthings that should be swapped plus 200 bucks in fluids and shop supplies. You are sitting at $3k I say you take that 3k and go buy yourself the same year make and model and keep the other one for a parts truck trans rear end interior (all though dodge interiors get destroyed quick)

Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic when I said my employee was testing his theory that he could drive with no oil I thought that was obvious that I was making light of a stupid situation. Some of you seem to think that I would actually allow something like that. We blew an engine and my employee cannot tell me when the last time he had checked the oil. The engine had no oil in it when it made it to the shop.

For those of you who do not seem to be able to understand sarcasm, I am sorry, will try harder next time.

Thanks for the responses. I am sick about this as I have only owned the truck for a couple of months, seems like the phrase, "Boys, this is why we cannot have nice things" comes to mind.

I don't know why people don't learn how to do things. I have always serviced my own vehicles in my spare time. I have bought 3 vehicles with engine problems, 2 of which were locked down from running out of oil. You might only need a new crankshaft and rods if yours can't be repaired in a machine shop. Even a bent crankshaft can be repaired by turning all the journals and elongated rods can have the caps shaved and then re-bored.

I am with you. I only started paying someone else to change the oil when Ford tried not to warranty a 6.7 liter diesel engine with 80,000 miles because I had been changing the oil myself. I have gotten over 350,000 miles out of several trucks by handling my own maintenance. You tend to see the problems before they are problems when you get to know your own vehicle.

This situation has me sick. I made it clear that since this was a new to us vehicle, we needed to be extra diligent about getting to know it, and checking fluids regularly and he clearly was not. Worse than that, I let him get away with it.

Machine shop time cost more then a re-man engine or close enough to it it's not worth the hassel. Plus a reputable re-man engine will come with a 3,30 or 5,50 warranty. Thats why shops dont rebuild any more that and labor time to rebuild vs replace covers most the cost of the engine. And if I rebuild it and something goes wrong I get to fix it for free if something goes wrong with a re-man that company pays labor for me to R&R it or depending on where you buy the re-man it would get sent to the dealer and they cover it.

Op just gunk the truck used engine =1200 bucks labor =1000 bucks plus another 600 bucks for things that go wrong or bad parts found on the engine or justvthings that should be swapped plus 200 bucks in fluids and shop supplies. You are sitting at $3k I say you take that 3k and go buy yourself the same year make and model and keep the other one for a parts truck trans rear end interior (all though dodge interiors get destroyed quick)

Thanks bulltepaluza, that is the answer I was looking for.

Seems nowadays people really believe 10k mile oil changes are ok. Gotta tell you after hearing what goes wrong with most engines all day long I cannot emphasize the importance of frequent quality oil changes. Most new engines have hydraulically operated valve timing and sludge/dirty oil will create massive problems eventually leading to engine replacement.

One of my guys wanted to test his theory that a Dodge Hemi could drive 732 miles with no oil. He was wrong and I lost. We need to put a new/reman/used engine in the truck. It is a work truck and so far the prices I have been quoted are more than the truck is worth. Any ODTers that can help with this? I am in Cherokee County but am willing to haul it.
Call 678-368-7141 and get a quote. He is on Roswell Rd. I had him do the engine in my Jeep. He specializes in dodge motors

Back
Top Bottom