• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need a New Job(Career)

No I never got it. I go back and forth about getting it. I would like more of a project coordinator role or operations role. PMP work to many hours but they get paid, I dont need 90k to 120k, more like 70k to 90k works for me.

Don’t sell yourself short. If you call yourself a project manager with or without the cert. Aim high. You can always accept a lower rate. Remember he who mentions $$$ first loses, don’t let them back you into that. A simple i expect to get paid fair market for the skills I bring and the responsibilities I will be assuming. If they don’t like that.....you’ll regret working for them imo.

Sell the projects you’ve delivered. How many at one time you handled, how much budget were you in charge of, did you hit milestones, come in on time on budget or even under and have stories of how you saved failing projects and delivered on time and on budget. And don’t forget stories of failure and what you learned.

I review and interview a good amount of people for construction positions within our company. Here’s what I do/don’t look for:
- PMP doesn’t mean anything (I have worked with a number of morons with this piece of paper)
- college degree just shows that you showed up enough to pass
- do you have people skills?
- do you communicate well and have the ability to solve problems?
- do you handle stressful situations well?
- are you dependable?

Build your resume around past examples that highlight the last 4 questions.

Back
Top Bottom