• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice on a Trailcam

Whitey

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
So my 10 year old son wants a trail cam. I am not up to speed on these things, could one of you give me advice on which ones to consider?
Looking for:
Ease of use
Digital, hopefully this is obvious.
He likes the idea of ones that take video but is not a deal killer
Don't want to break the bank, is $100.00 a good budget?
Any special secret places to get a good deal on them?

Thanks for any advice y'all can give,

http://www.trailcampro.com

There's a huge variety of cameras and sometimes big differences between similar models from the same manufacturer or even from one year to the next of the same model.

Pro tip: Avoid black friday "deals." They are almost always cut down versions of a regular camera either using inferior parts or features or something. I picked up a pair of Primos cameras last year for $50/ea and they are less than half as good as the normal priced model that is like $80. Just my 2¢

So my 10 year old son wants a trail cam. I am not up to speed on these things, could one of you give me advice on which ones to consider?
Looking for:
Ease of use
Digital, hopefully this is obvious.
He likes the idea of ones that take video but is not a deal killer
Don't want to break the bank, is $100.00 a good budget?
Any special secret places to get a good deal on them?

Thanks for any advice y'all can give,
Ease of use is a relative term. I've had several brands and none or overly difficult. If your son is like mine, when it comes to electronics he'll figure out things it can do that even the manufacturer didn't know. ;)
They are all digital today
I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find one that does NOT accommodate video (but the quality will vary wildly)
For $100, you can get a decent trail cam.
All you can do is shop around. There is no one best place. Sometimes even the big box (Cabelas etc) will have the best deal, other times, Amazon, other times, "Joe's Outdoor shop in East Bumble, TN".

The best quality video I've had on any camera, by FAR is on a Browning. I was able to purchase a 'Strike Force' model on sale for around $100. (They are apparently $139 right now) from Cabelas.

Fortunately, my son cannot figure out how to work electronics. He can shoot a gun, catch a baseball, out run a squirrel and catch a coon, so hopefully those will translate into prosperous future. Thanks for the feedback. We ended up buying a Browning on trailcampro.com. great resource. Thanks for taking g the time to respond, all of your responses were helpful. Love this site.

Fortunately, my son cannot figure out how to work electronics. He can shoot a gun, catch a baseball, out run a squirrel and catch a coon, so hopefully those will translate into prosperous future. Thanks for the feedback. We ended up buying a Browning on trailcampro.com. great resource. Thanks for taking g the time to respond, all of your responses were helpful. Love this site.
I would say this is well done! He can learn the basic way before depending on all the electronic stuff to do it for him' That is the problem with today's generation, they rely on all the electronic crap, and less on their abilities to solve the problem. But I don't know how to use anything else other than a flip phone, of which I have had longer than I can remember...I have only played video games called Pong and Packman...I don't even know how to turn one on, less than use one of the fancy phones..I grew up on a slide ruler

Back
Top Bottom