• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice on Zeroing a Ruger Blackhawk

slowmo

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
61   0
Reaction score
I have a Blackhawk 41 mag. I bought it to use for hunting. I have gone to the range a few times and the first shot at about 50 feet is pretty good. I can hit the center of the target. After that I am anticipating recoil and hitting down and left about 6 to 8 inches.

I'm trying to get some tips on how to do this properly, and still put some sort of group together. Today I tried shooting the 41 once then took a break and shot my single six for awhile, ... then back to the 41. That worked ok, but....

Anyone have any tips for me?

Oh, and don't say that I shouldn't be shooting a big Magnum or that I'm some sort of wuss. I'm not so don't even go there. I want serious advice.

If your shot is on target when you're not thinking about recoil, and anticipation of it is causing your placement to move, sounds like the pistol may not need adjustment.

Just keep shooting it, forcing yourself to squeeze the trigger every time. That is the only was to solve the problem, you can't move the sights to compensate for snatching the trigger.

1. Dont load a couple cylinders... When they come around do you flinch?
2. Watch your wrist. Limp wristing will throw rounds off..
3. Let someone else fire the pistol and see what grouping they get...

Yeah, I'm definitely flinching. No doubt about it, but... leaving a couple of cylinders empty or every other one may help me control it and see how bad I'm off when it's dry fired.

If you know you're flinching, then you've identified the largest problem with accuracy most likely. The way I over came it was to keep shooting, with my focus on making a smooth pull of the trigger every time. Pretty soon it becomes ingrained into your memory and you do it without having to think about it.

Ball and dummy drills if you have a buddy.

For dry-fire - work on keeping a dime balanced on the front sight as you pull the trigger. Jerking the trigger does not allow it to stay in place.

Bring the target up to 3 yards. When you can hold a good group size, move back to 4 yards and so forth. Isolate as much as you can to reduce the flinching.

Old military technique...BRASS (Breathe in normally let about half out and squeeze trigger,
Relax let shoulder loosen up, elbow straight but not locked,
Aim..point muzzle at target,
Sight..line up sights,
Squeeze, with PAD of your finger (middle of first joint), start a straight constant pressure on the trigger, when the round actually fires it should bit of a surprise. When this happens you're doing it right.
These are the very basic principles,,starting point you will improve with repetition, above all CONCENTRATE on the step by step procedure , don't worry about the noise.
Let your hands roll with the recoil, (BECOME PART OF IT..don't fight it or try to overcome it) let your hands rise smoothly and fall back in place, natural movement, for the next shot.
Like everything else in life the more you do it the better you'll get at it, do it enough and it will become as natural as tying your shoe laces.

Back
Top Bottom