• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need advice pls shotgun shell reloading

Gooser

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
Guys I just had a MEC jr 600 given to me. I have 6 cases of good AA hulls and looking to start this unit up. I plan on loading 1 1/8 oz for skeet and light hunting loads. What should I expect to see it cost per box to reload ? I do not have a powder bushing in the bar, plus I want to make sure when I start the reloader, it is functioning properly (compression, etc) Any advice is appreciated, apologize for the newbie question !

If it's 12 gauge you won't really realize any savings over factory loads, bought on sale. It does afford a lot of leeway for customizing loads. ,410 and .28 gauge do however make sense economically.

Also it's a fun hobby either way. I sold all my shotgun re-loaders, strictly metallic only now.

Guys I just had a MEC jr 600 given to me. I have 6 cases of good AA hulls and looking to start this unit up. I plan on loading 1 1/8 oz for skeet and light hunting loads. What should I expect to see it cost per box to reload ? I do not have a powder bushing in the bar, plus I want to make sure when I start the reloader, it is functioning properly (compression, etc) Any advice is appreciated, apologize for the newbie question !

Well I can help a little I think.
This can help you with savings:
https://www.mecshootingsports.com/t-CostBenefitsSavingsCalculator.aspx
As said earlier 12 gauge savings aren't near as great as .410 and 28 gauge . I have been loading with MEC for more than 50 years and still enjoy it. I recommend you get a Lyman shotshell reloading manual. Great deal of info. I always liked to be able to load a wide variety of loads. It is easy with a 600jr. Another thing to consider if
you already load any pistol cartridges you can choose a powder (for some loads) that will work with both pistol and shotgun.
You can also get the MEC instrucions online too.

If it's 12 gauge you won't really realize any savings over factory loads, bought on sale. It does afford a lot of leeway for customizing loads. ,410 and .28 gauge do however make sense economically.

Also it's a fun hobby either way. I sold all my shotgun re-loaders, strictly metallic only now.
This is excellent advice.

Well I can help a little I think.
This can help you with savings:
https://www.mecshootingsports.com/t-CostBenefitsSavingsCalculator.aspx
As said earlier 12 gauge savings aren't near as great as .410 and 28 gauge . I have been loading with MEC for more than 50 years and still enjoy it. I recommend you get a Lyman shotshell reloading manual. Great deal of info. I always liked to be able to load a wide variety of loads. It is easy with a 600jr. Another thing to consider if
you already load any pistol cartridges you can choose a powder (for some loads) that will work with both pistol and shotgun.
You can also get the MEC instrucions online too.

Great Advice on all fronts. I started reloading last year and had questions as well. Lymans Reloading Manual is a great reference. I use nothing but Winchester AA hulls for reloading. I find they hold a crimp better. Don't bother trying to reload the cheap Universal Shells from Walmart. They work great for a 1 shot shell. However, I originally started reloading those as an old timer saw my reloads and pulled me to side and recommended not to use them since those cheap hulls and can separate from the tin base. He then pulled a ruined rental gun from the back and showed me how a walmart reload blow out his barrel. I have two MEC Jr. for my 20 GA and 410. You save a little bit reloading 20 GA and save about 50% reloading 3" AA .410. I prefer Universal Powder for my 20 GA and H110 or Lil'Gun for my 410. Good Luck.

The Federal plastic hulls reload fine, but you probably won't get as many cycles out of them as some others. If someone had a blown out barrel, it definitely was not due to using cheap hulls. They had other issues.

Reloading shot shells now can definitely be cost prohibitive, as lead and powder are pretty high right now. You have to be pretty resourceful to make it worth while, at least money wise. Using reclaimed lead is a good way to save some money. Buy powder in bulk, especially on here, Armslist, etc. Do the same with primers.

bottom line on all my shotgun reloads was that I could assemble a better shell for the $$ spent on components.( not counting the loader)

lead shot is a killer these days...

Back
Top Bottom