• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NEED ADVICE

fastfish66

Coast Guard Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
476   0
Reaction score
I HAVE A S&W 25-5 WITH A 6' BARREL. I HAVE 500-240 GR. LEAD BULLETS,WIN,CLEANED BRASS,CCI LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS. I WANT A LOAD TO TARGET SHOOT,I 'M THINKING AROUND 800-850 FPS? WHAT POWDER LOAD IS BEST. WHAT KIND OF POWDER IS BEST,IS THERE MORE THAN ONE TYPE AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY POWDER THAT I NEED FOR SALE? I AM IN VILLA RICA. TKS TOM RETIRED VET

HI TOM - YOURE IN LUCK. GA ARMS, A STORE ON HWY 61 SELLS POWDER AND THEY HAVE A GOOD BIT OF IT ON THEIR SHELF. THEY HAVE HP-38 AND TITEGROUP WHICH I HAVE USED WITH 45ACP. IM SURE OTHERS WILL COME ALONG WITH SUGGESTIONS ON POWDER. ARE YOU SURE ITS 240GR AND NOT 230?

HI TOM - YOURE IN LUCK. GA ARMS, A STORE ON HWY 61 SELLS POWDER AND THEY HAVE A GOOD BIT OF IT ON THEIR SHELF. THEY HAVE HP-38 AND TITEGROUP WHICH I HAVE USED WITH 45ACP. IM SURE OTHERS WILL COME ALONG WITH SUGGESTIONS ON POWDER. ARE YOU SURE ITS 240GR AND NOT 230?
TKS FOR THE INFO I'M SHOOTING A 45LCAND IT'S REALLY 250GR BULLET

I used Unique but was never really happy with it, the charge was so small in that big case that it was erratic in terms of velocity. I never got accuracy from reloads in that pistol like I did with factory ammo. I had decided that if I reloaded any more for it I was going to use trail boss. It is designed to use in cases originally designed for black powder, where typically the cases are very large. I found a box of reloads at the farm with maybe 200-300 in it. Will be glad to give them to you if you are going to be up my way anytime soon. I would pull them if I were you and reload, as I just don't like to shoot anyone else's load. But the brass and bullets are usable. Call me if you want them, PM me if you need my number again. Also have an unopened can of Trail Boss if you want it for what I have in it, or heck, just swap me something for it. J

There are some issues with the S&W model 25 series bore and throat specs/tolerances. This link discusses it briefly. http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

GA Arms is in your backyard, that's some luck right there. They have really decent cast bullets. They have a fair selection of powder and primer. http://georgia-arms.com/

Show Room Location
15 Industrial Court E.
Villa Rica, GA. 30180

Phone: 888-623-6861
Local: 770-459-5117
Fax: 770-459-1904

Here are some bullet types and prices from them.

L45AA (300 ea./900 ea.)

.452/200GR SEMI-WADCUTTER $29.00 10lbs/$84.00 28lbs

L45AB

.452/185GR SEMI-WADCUTTER $29.00 9lbs/$84.00 25lbs

L45AC

.452/230GR ROUND NOSE $30.00 11lbs /$87.00 31lbs

L45AD

.452/200GR ROUND NOSE FLAT POINT $29.00 10lbs/ $84.00 28lbs

L45LB

.452/250GR ROUND NOSE FLAT POINT $32.00 12lbs/$93.00 34lbs

I used Unique but was never really happy with it, the charge was so small in that big case that it was erratic in terms of velocity. I never got accuracy from reloads in that pistol like I did with factory ammo. I had decided that if I reloaded any more for it I was going to use trail boss. It is designed to use in cases originally designed for black powder, where typically the cases are very large. I found a box of reloads at the farm with maybe 200-300 in it. Will be glad to give them to you if you are going to be up my way anytime soon. I would pull them if I were you and reload, as I just don't like to shoot anyone else's load. But the brass and bullets are usable. Call me if you want them, PM me if you need my number again. Also have an unopened can of Trail Boss if you want it for what I have in it, or heck, just swap me something for it. J
I WOULD TAKE EVERYTHIG YOU HAVE FOR THAT GUN. I COULD MEET YOU AT THE HOME DEPOT IF THAT WORHS FOR YOU. LET ME KOW HOW MUCH IT WILL COST. YES I NEED YOUT PHONE# AND TKS SO MUCH,TOM

Back
Top Bottom