• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need battle belt recommendation

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
Anyone on here running a battle belt? I'm looking to get one primarily for use during classes but I also like the idea of being able to just throw on the belt and have everything I need at a moments notice. I dont intend on having a ton of gear, 1 rifle mag, 2 pistol mags, IFAK and a Safariland holster with a 1911.

It seems as though there are 2 styles: one is a larger outer belt that have a regular belt running through it and you attach both to you via the inner belt with a usually a cobra buckle. These ride outside and over your regular belt and pants. And then theres the minimalist type that you have a rigger belt with velcro running through your pants and the battle belt attaches to the velcro of the rigger belt.

Is one style better than the other?

So far I've looked at ATS and then checked out HSGI which I like based on their TACOs and pouches that I have. When comparing the two it seems like the HSGI is the one to get. Then I came across Blue Alpha Gear which come to found out is local to GA. Theres is the 2nd style, minimal, dont have some big bulky belt around you and I think its a little cheaper which helps. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them using this style of belt. I searched and see some people have used their EDC belt but not the battle belt.

I've used the HSGI ones and started using an inner/outer system towards the end of last year. The two piece (TP) belts are significantly lower profile and do a better job at stopping your **** from bouncing around. I would absolutely take a smaller TP set up over the wider belts. I've found the extra footprint doesn't really add any benefit over the other smaller offerings. They're harder to fine tune the adjustment than the TP given you have to keep feeding it in and out through hook velcro to get it just right. If you're not autistic about how things ride on your belt then no biggie there, I guess. The only real benefit I can see with the more over options are you can just pop it on over anything. I don't see why you couldn't do that with a TP though.

A couple of options are Tyr Gunfighter and the Ronin Shuto. I know a couple folks that waited the lead time for the Tyr and love it. I've personally got the Shuto from Ronin and feel like I've finally found the first line solution. The Blue Alpha Gear I've yet to try but I've heard great things about it. I can only imagine it's of good build quality like their other offerings I'm using at the moment. Regardless of which one you go with be prepared to fight and cuss with the PALS webbing. They're typically tighter than **** on the lower profile belts.

If it seems like this is one big run on sentence with a lot of redundancies then it probably is because I just woke up and haven't had coffee yet.

I've used the HSGI ones and started using an inner/outer system towards the end of last year. The two piece (TP) belts are significantly lower profile and do a better job at stopping your **** from bouncing around. I would absolutely take a smaller TP set up over the wider belts. I've found the extra footprint doesn't really add any benefit over the other smaller offerings. They're harder to fine tune the adjustment than the TP given you have to keep feeding it in and out through hook velcro to get it just right. If you're not autistic about how things ride on your belt then no biggie there, I guess. The only real benefit I can see with the more over options are you can just pop it on over anything. I don't see why you couldn't do that with a TP though.

A couple of options are Tyr Gunfighter and the Ronin Shuto. I know a couple folks that waited the lead time for the Tyr and love it. I've personally got the Shuto from Ronin and feel like I've finally found the first line solution. The Blue Alpha Gear I've yet to try but I've heard great things about it. I can only imagine it's of good build quality like their other offerings I'm using at the moment. Regardless of which one you go with be prepared to fight and cuss with the PALS webbing. They're typically tighter than **** on the lower profile belts.

If it seems like this is one big run on sentence with a lot of redundancies then it probably is because I just woke up and haven't had coffee yet.

Good point about fine tuning everything too. Hadn't thought about that. I'm a little OCD when it comes to things like that. At first I'll say it wont bother me and I'd finish everything up, start wearing it and then it most certainly will and I forgot about TYR Tactical. I saw one of their belts being used on Instagram and looked into them briefly. They have a really LONG lead time like 3-43 months. Thats REALLY long! They better be the best belt ever.

Never heard of the Ronin belt you mentioned. I'll look into it. What pouches do you run? I have HSGI on my PC but I'm thinking of trying the esstac KYWIs.

Dude you wake up at 4:42 in the morning?! :shocked:

Good point about fine tuning everything too. Hadn't thought about that. I'm a little OCD when it comes to things like that. At first I'll say it wont bother me and I'd finish everything up, start wearing it and then it most certainly will and I forgot about TYR Tactical. I saw one of their belts being used on Instagram and looked into them briefly. They have a really LONG lead time like 3-43 months. Thats REALLY long! They better be the best belt ever.

Never heard of the Ronin belt you mentioned. I'll look into it. What pouches do you run? I have HSGI on my PC but I'm thinking of trying the esstac KYWIs.

Dude you wake up at 4:42 in the morning?! :shocked:
I actually get up at 4 but that's besides the point. I use two double pistol kywis and a HSGI double decker because that's what I had laying around. It worked out because I use the belt for both my ARs and FAL. Beside that is the HSGI bleeder kit which I'm going to change to accommodate a few more medical items and then a Safariland ALS. I can't remember the model number because they have a million of them.

I actually get up at 4 but that's besides the point. I use two double pistol kywis and a HSGI double decker because that's what I had laying around. It worked out because I use the belt for both my ARs and FAL. Beside that is the HSGI bleeder kit which I'm going to change to accommodate a few more medical items and then a Safariland ALS. I can't remember the model number because they have a million of them.

I looked at the Ronin belt and I REALLY like it but I dont know why they went with a 2" inner belt. I guess to have more surface contact for the outer belt but I like the versatility that the 1.5" offers to be able to use with regular jeans.

I have a HSGI bleeder on my PC and it is small. I basically only have my CAT tourniquet in there and its almost full. Let me know what IFAK pack you're looking at.

Man I was thinking today that I dont like Safariland's website and product line, way too confusing. ALS, SLS, QLS drives me crazy. I just ordered a 6395 ALS for my TRP but I'm not sure if its the right one. The model number according to Safariland is the same so I'll see when it gets here.

I subscribed to this thread for the. Noticed today that Primary Arms has the HSGI mag pouches on sale.

Thanks. I'll check out their prices. I have single rifle pouches and double rifle pouches but like the lower profile of the singles. I want to try the KWYIs though

I just looked again and some of the styles are out of stock now but there are still several in stock. I have some of the ones made by G-Code so I ordered a couple of the HSGI to compare.

I looked at the Ronin belt and I REALLY like it but I dont know why they went with a 2" inner belt. I guess to have more surface contact for the outer belt but I like the versatility that the 1.5" offers to be able to use with regular jeans.

I have a HSGI bleeder on my PC and it is small. I basically only have my CAT tourniquet in there and its almost full. Let me know what IFAK pack you're looking at.

Man I was thinking today that I dont like Safariland's website and product line, way too confusing. ALS, SLS, QLS drives me crazy. I just ordered a 6395 ALS for my TRP but I'm not sure if its the right one. The model number according to Safariland is the same so I'll see when it gets here.
You have the TQ in the pouch? If so, throw a rubber band inside the PALs webbing to attach your TQ to the side of it so you can fill that bitch up with your bleeder supplies in it.

Back
Top Bottom