• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need bayonet restored

Birchwood casy make a blueing and rust remover. I was very impressed with the way it worked. 00 steel wool and the remover, elbow grease and patients. Looks like scale rust and not so many pits. And 1/2 inch wood a coping saw and sand paper ( elbow grease and patience again) and it would look great on a mantle
Thanks for the info, man!

View attachment 3330421 View attachment 3330422 View attachment 3330423 View attachment 3330424 View attachment 3330425 Found an old bayonet going though my pa’s stuff. Was wondering if this was in any shape to restore and a ballpark price to get it done. Need some recommendations as well. I’d love to use someone from the trader. Thanks, y’all!
Watch the videos that Scholagladiatoria has done on sword restoration. Just know, polishing up antiques can diminish their value.

Chances are if it was your Pa’s, you hope to keep it in your family.

There are a lot of YouTube videos about restoring old knives. One of my favorites was a huge meat cleaver.
It got a new shape (major griding there), polished to an excellent finish (and the maker's mark was still visible when it was done), and a new wooden handle created and fitted.

As an aside, if you want to have it as a reminder of history, as something from an important period of time, I think it's perfectly OK to restore it to LOOK LIKE IT DID at that time. How would it have appeared when worn on the belt of a private in the Japanese Army on an island in the Pacific in 1944? Not perfect, but not "old" and "broken" either. I'd want it to look like something that had been made just a few years prior and had been used, but not abused.

Back
Top Bottom