• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need contractor for Pond overflow pipe repair

redtail

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
Can anyone make recommendations of a good contractor that deals with pond overflow systems and dams?

The bottom of my overflow pipe has a leak in it and draining my pond. 1/3 acre pond. I am having trouble finding contractors. the only one I have found wants $550 as a consulting fee just to advise what they believe I should do and provide an estimate to repair / replace.

Bold Springs Area / Walton CO

thanks,

Ponds are actually quite complex. I have built a few. $550.00 for a site visit and recomendations, if it gets credited towards any future work, actually isn't that bad. Assuming he knows what he is doing.

Google "pond dam supply", I think they are in Macon. You have to build a new overflow and abandon the pipe going thru your dam. Lots of ways to plug the pipe, some combination of bentonite clay and concrete, most likely. Then Pond Dam Supply can walk you thru building a new overflow, Or, just build a concrete spill way. The pipes were generally installed so that the pond could be drained for maintenance, which literally no one has ever done. We effectively drain ponds using a siphon system a few times a year. Much more effective and cannot cause your dam to fail.

Oh, and cut down all of those trees on the back side of your dam, they are putting your downstream neighbors at risk.

PM me and I will send you my mailing address, you can pay me 1/2 what you were gonna pay the other guy.

So your saying the bottom of your metal pipe is Rusted out and caused erosion around the pipe draining the pond?

Yes, bottom has rusted out and eroded and the water is coming in the pipe but it has not washed out around the pipe at the dam. Only directly under the pipe has been eroded.

Google "pond dam supply", I think they are in Macon. You have to build a new overflow and abandon the pipe going thru your dam. Lots of ways to plug the pipe, some combination of bentonite clay and concrete, most likely. Then Pond Dam Supply can walk you thru building a new overflow, Or, just build a concrete spill way. The pipes were generally installed so that the pond could be drained for maintenance, which literally no one has ever done. We effectively drain ponds using a siphon system a few times a year. Much more effective and cannot cause your dam to fail.

Oh, and cut down all of those trees on the back side of your dam, they are putting your downstream neighbors at risk.

PM me and I will send you my mailing address, you can pay me 1/2 what you were gonna pay the other guy.

Thanks for the referral. I have a separate draining system with a valve. This is just an overflow. I have seen it last spring being utilized after a very heavy rain over several days. This was prior to us purchasing the house.

I will give them a call and see if I can figure something out. As far as "1/2 of what I was gonna pay them...."1/2 of nothing is still nothing." I do not mind having someone come a give an estimate for the work and understand charging but crediting towards work if selected. I completely understand that. However, these guys seem to be more of a maintenance / consulting type company and wanted to send a biologist out to do a evaluation. Well... I don't need a Biologist. I need a guy or gal that has a fluid engineering and grading background. Many moons ago i worked in the underground utility business and know how to replace the pipe and back filling and re packing the area if desired. I am not comfortable screwing with the integrity of a 20 year old established dam.

thank you again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom