• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

need help assembling my first ar

OP, check out the thread in this forum to help guide you through it.

upload_2017-4-23_19-53-1.png

I am no where near athens, but if you need me to assemble it, and would cover shipping, I could help.

You have a list of parts? I find most first time assemblers either 1) forget a few items their first go around or 2) possibly buy the wrong items (.625 GB for a .750 bbl, wrong length gas tube), etc...

I did mine on the kitchen table with knipex and a roll of tape.

Because you can control the pin and how much pressure you apply, your not clamping the lower in a vice and holding a pin, punch, and hammer. Applying pressure is far more controllable than swinging a hammer and holding a punch and hoping the pin doesn't shoot across the room.

Trust me, knipex and tape. No scratches. The videos always show a guy gently smacking the punch. When he gets to the end, he always wipes it with his finger and says "that's not too bad", after his punch mars the surface.
How did you properly install a RE with just Knipex pliers and a roll of tape?

Also, sounds like you only assembled the lower. Assembling an upper.....properly.....requires more than tape and pliers.

A vise is needed to hold the upper while tightening the barrel nut. It also makes assembling the lower easier.

The Knipex is an excellent tool for pressing in pins, especially the trigger guard pin

If you have a strong friend to sit on the rifle with a steel mag in and hold it while you torque in the barrel nut you will not need a vise. But you will need more whiskey.

Or if you are alone with lots of whiskey and an armorers wrench you can just hold the rifle between your legs with a steel mag and torque the barrel nut and RE without a vise. That is loads of fun but you will prolly scratch something.

No offense to the OP but I honestly can't understand why anyone would build an AR without having the basic tools required. Seriously, I don't get it. I don't get building "budget AR's" either. I don't care about seeing how cheap I can build one for. Anyway, would you go to a new dentist that had a chisel and a pair of pliers only? He might could fix your problem, but I wouldn't trust my chompers to less than minimum tools. Youtube will get you there but spend a few extra doll hairs and get an armorer's wrench, roll pin and receiver block at least (and a clevis pin or front pivot pin tool to save some headache). If your assembling an upper you'll need a vice. IF you don't want to invest in the correct tools then your idea of meeting up with someone that has what you need and is willing to help is your best bet. Good luck building.

Back
Top Bottom