• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help choosing a powder for 6.5 Grendel

Pholley526

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
66   0
Reaction score
Well I finally finished my Grendel build and have been looking at projectiles and I believe that I have it narrowed down to a 120 grain nosler ballistic tip or a 130 grain Sierra game king. I’ve thought about 8208xbr and rl15 however I don’t have experience with either. Leverevolution powder looks to have some intriguing speeds however I have read it is fairly temp sensitive which is something I would rather stay away from. What powder would you recommend and why?? Any and all recommendations and insight are greatly appreciated!

Well I finally finished my Grendel build and have been looking at projectiles and I believe that I have it narrowed down to a 120 grain nosler ballistic tip or a 130 grain Sierra game king. I’ve thought about 8208xbr and rl15 however I don’t have experience with either. Leverevolution powder looks to have some intriguing speeds however I have read it is fairly temp sensitive which is something I would rather stay away from. What powder would you recommend and why?? Any and all recommendations and insight are greatly appreciated!

I haven't started loading for the Grendel yet, but 8208xbr get's rave reviews for velocity & accuracy in this round. Check over on http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?3-6-5-Grendel-Ammunition-amp-Reloading for more info.

I haven't loaded for it, but can comment on RL15 as I've used it for years. It's not extremely temp sensitive, it yields some of the best velocities and accuracies within it's competitive powders, however it does suffer from stacking when dropping powder since it's long extruded columns over balls or short columns. Because of the stacking, it can be a pain when charging and benefits from a drop tube on the funnel. I tend to load with it for a bolt gun and I trickle it to weight. It just doesn't drop to consistent weights for me.

For semi's I went to Ramshot TAC over ten years ago and it's been a great powder, dropping charge weights extremely consistent, giving good velocity a rivaling in accuracy and cleanliness in my AR and has worked great in my HK91 in 7.62x51 charge weights. It's one to look into.

I haven't started loading for the Grendel yet, but 8208xbr get's rave reviews for velocity & accuracy in this round. Check over on http://www.65grendel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?3-6-5-Grendel-Ammunition-amp-Reloading for more info.
I’ve researched that site for the past few days, I even got the 6.5 Grendel books which are awesome however I see that Alexander arms data is extremely hot. I really want to shoot the Sierra game Kong’s however the lack of data has got me hesitant.

I haven't loaded for it, but can comment on RL15 as I've used it for years. It's not extremely temp sensitive, it yields some of the best velocities and accuracies within it's competitive powders, however it does suffer from stacking when dropping powder since it's long extruded columns over balls or short columns. Because of the stacking, it can be a pain when charging and benefits from a drop tube on the funnel. I tend to load with it for a bolt gun and I trickle it to weight. It just doesn't drop to consistent weights for me.

For semi's I went to Ramshot TAC over ten years ago and it's been a great powder, dropping charge weights extremely consistent, giving good velocity a rivaling in accuracy and cleanliness in my AR and has worked great in my HK91 in 7.62x51 charge weights. It's one to look into.
Have you noticed it being very pressure sensitive?? I have seen it in different recipes however I have seen few people comment on it

CFE 223 work great with mine,I tried Tac with limited success but need to try some more,I have 8lbs of it The best bullets for mine has been Hornady Amax 123 grn and Nossler custom competition 123 grn. 8208 is on my list to try.

Back
Top Bottom