• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help choosing a powder for 6.5 Grendel

Well I finally finished my Grendel build and have been looking at projectiles and I believe that I have it narrowed down to a 120 grain nosler ballistic tip or a 130 grain Sierra game king. I’ve thought about 8208xbr and rl15 however I don’t have experience with either. Leverevolution powder looks to have some intriguing speeds however I have read it is fairly temp sensitive which is something I would rather stay away from. What powder would you recommend and why?? Any and all recommendations and insight are greatly appreciated!
i have a big jug of 4350

Have you noticed it being very pressure sensitive?? I have seen it in different recipes however I have seen few people comment on it

My 77gr SMK load for 5.56 is 24.5, so at the high end of the load range. I worked up the first load in a Noveske barrel many years ago, and tested again in a second Noveske barrel, then in a Ballistic Advantage barrel and it was so consistent that I stopped bothering working up a load and it's my go to. In 5-6 different barrels, from match to 1:7 or Wylde chamber, chrome lines or stainless, the load is consistent.

With 75gr Hornady HPBT's, I far exceeded the load range at was loading near 28grs at getting 2900+fps from an 18" barrel with only slightly flattened primers. I backed down and went back to 24.5 for the Hornadys as well and around 2600fps because the accuracy was superb with any match bullet from Nosler, Sierra or Hornady.

Were it me, I'd be looking at the X terminator instead of TAC. All of the TAC loads show to be compressed at the higher end. Still within pressure ranges, and you don't have the risk of broken kernals like you do with a compressed stick powder, which could possibly cause funky velocities and pressures, but X Terminator only has two compressed loads before reaching the pressure max.

I think I’m going to pick up a pound of rl15 8208 and tac and start doing some testing. Anxious to see how this round is going to perform on game.

I just shot a load I worked up for deer season,123 grain Amax with 30 grains CFE 223 450 CCI primer. IT shot lights out,did not get any pictures but will be my deer load this year.

Cfe seems to give terrific velocities but the amount of temp sensitivity that comes with it keeps me away.
I just shot a load I worked up for deer season,123 grain Amax with 30 grains CFE 223 450 CCI primer. IT shot lights out,did not get any pictures but will be my deer load this year.

Back
Top Bottom