• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need help figuring scope ring height for Savage FV-SR (maybe)

BangBang

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
57   0
Reaction score
Or maybe the scope is already low enough? I have no idea. So what do y’all think?

C38EC809-E7E6-4125-B2D3-60D294AB5B86.jpeg

I know a “Fat Max” tape measure isn’t the best tool for this, but it’s all I’ve got.

Top of barrel to bottom of scope cover
CB57D780-5391-4D02-88C7-19E64DA0F31B.jpeg

Scope rail height. This isn’t the OEM Savage rail. It’s an EGW 20 MOA rail.
367E26E7-D1FC-409D-9A17-3D5FC13A1771.jpeg

Height of scope rings currently on the gun.
A9CE2681-5F4B-4C07-8C05-23AEBDF0D37F.jpeg

So what do y’all think? Is it already low enough or would I see some benefit in dropping it down some more?

I’m already hitting a metal silhouette with it at 400 yards but my current goal is to constantly hit a 6” spinner at 400 yards.

If you are hitting with it I’d leave it alone
I’m hitting a full size silhouette, but the 6” spinner continues to elude me. LMAO!

I just put that 20 MOA rail on last night though so I’m hoping to be able to get my scope adjusted better now for more accurately lobbing subsonic .22lr out to 400 yards.

Their are so many variables lobbing 22 subs at that distance. Let us know what works, I could make suggestions based on theory..But none based on experience, I have never tried subs at that distance. Best of luck!

Their are so many variables lobbing 22 subs at that distance. Let us know what works, I could make suggestions based on theory..But none based on experience, I have never tried subs at that distance. Best of luck!
It’s pretty fun shooting out to 400 yards with CCI Standard.

On a sunny day you can actually watch the bullet through the scope as it arcs out across the range.

That little chunk of lead is too small for me to see it all the way out to 400 yards though.

I always try to get every scope as low as I can
It may help,it may not but as long as you have plenty of adjustment each way you should be good

Can you walk it in on the larger target to get it to site in?
I slowly walked it out to 400 yards to get on the silhouette, but never could hit the 6” spinner.

My scope was set on 4x and zeroed at 50 yards. I was completely off the retical at 400 yards. I was aiming at a tree branch probably 25-30 FEET above the silhouette.

With the 20 MOA mount I’m hoping to sight in my top mil-dot at 50 yards (it has 6 mil-dots each way). That SHOULD keep the 400 yard target within my retical. That will allow me to be accurate enough to fine tune everything and start hitting that 6” target.

Your doing pretty good hitting the silhouette if it's not even in the scope when you shoot. Don't guess you could take that branch with you to aim at when you go to shoot somewhere else

Back
Top Bottom